Burning while Urinating
- The burning sensation or pain is felt on the area where the urine passes. Sometimes, the burning sensation will be felt inside the body, in the pelvic bone area, bladder or in other instances in the prostate for male patients.
- This condition is considered a common problem that can be treated.
- Most patients that experience burning sensations during urination also experience the tendency to urinate more often.
- The pain or burning feeling is usually caused by an infection.
- This condition can happen in both male and female adults as well as in children.
- There are home care remedies for burning while urinating. But it is best to consult a doctor to know the best treatment. This is especially true if the burning sensation is accompanied by other symptoms. These symptoms include a discharge from the vagina or the penis, when the patient is pregnant, when the burning sensation lasts for more than 24 hours, when there is blood in the urine, and when fever arises.
- A urinalysis is commonly done to know what is causing the pain. For those with kidney or bladder infection histories, a more through medical examination will be done.
Causes of Burning while Urinating in Males
- UTI or urinary tract infection. Though commonly happen in females, UTI can also happen in males and cause burning sensations while urinating. UTI is commonly caused by bacteria that enters through the urethra causing an infection to the urinary tract.
- Urethritis. A condition wherein the urethra swells due to irritations. The irritations have several causes but gonorrhea and chlamydia are the most common ones for male patients.
- Gonorrhea and chlamydia alone can also cause burning sensations while urinating in male patients.
- Prostate infection or prostatitis. This is a condition wherein the prostate glands swell up in a rapid manner. The swelling is usually caused by bacterial infection. The same bacteria that cause UTI can also cause prostatitis.
- Interstitial Cystitis. This condition happens due to the irritation of bladder wall’s tissues. This can happen in both male and female patients.
Causes of Burning while Urinating in Females
- Astrophic Vaginitis. This is a condition wherein the vaginal tissues change during menopause. The change is caused by thinning of the tissues and decreased lubrication. This condition is also associated to lower levels of estrogen.
- Herpes in the genital area. Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that affects the skin of the genitals.
- Inflammation of the tissues in the vagina which can be caused by lotions, perfumes, and bubble baths.
- Vulvovaginitis. This happens when there is an infection in both the vulva and vagina. This is caused by bacteria, virus, yeast, and parasites. Sexually transmitted diseases can also cause this condition which in turn causes burning while urinating in female patients.