Vomiting of bile is associated with gastroenteritis or any form of intestinal obstruction. There are a host of other causes that are linked with vomiting of bile. This article provides information about how to stop vomiting of bile and treat the symptoms associated with the condition promptly. Bile is a digestive juice which is prepared in the liver and plays a vital role in digestion of fats and proteins.
The presence of bile in vomit causes the color of vomit to change from brown color to greenish yellow in color. Vomiting of bile is considered to be associated with a host of conditions ranging from gastrointestinal obstruction to food allergies. The treatment for vomiting of bile varies depending upon the cause and needs to be treated promptly in order to avoid complications. Vomiting of bile can be associated with complications like bleeding, gastric rupture due to the strain, dehydration, etc.
What Causes Vomiting Of Bile?
There are a host of factors that are responsible for vomiting of bile. Under normal conditions the vomitus is usually light brown in color; however presence of bile in the vomitus gives it a yellowish green color.
- Intestinal blockage is considered to be one of the leading causes for vomiting bile. Some form of intestinal obstruction prevents the food from traveling forward and instead results in reverse peristalsis. This reverse peristalsis causes vomiting of bile from the stomach which is associated with severe abdominal pain.
- Gallbladder surgery is considered to be associated with a complication i.e. vomiting of bile. While there is no specific intervention required, this symptom may be present for almost three to four months after the surgery.
- Gastroenteritis i.e. inflammation in the intestinal tract and food poisoning are closely linked with vomiting of bile. Both these conditions can lead to growth of bacteria and viruses in the intestinal tract which in turn can result in vomiting of bile.
- Food allergies and alcohol intolerance are some of the other factors that are associated with vomiting of bile from the stomach.
How To Stop Vomiting Bile?
The treatment for vomiting bile depends upon the underlying cause for the condition. While the treatment regimen can vary from surgical intervention to use of simple oral re-hydration solutions, here are some treatment options for management of vomiting of bile,
- Stop the consumption of alcohol. Alcohol intolerance is associated with vomiting of bile.
- Mix a tablespoon of turmeric with a tablespoon of raw honey in a glass of warm milk and drink it three times a day. Turmeric and honey have strong anti-microbial properties which help fight gastrointestinal infections, while milk has a soothing effect on the intestinal mucosa.
- Homeopathic drugs like Nux Vomica and Arg Nitricum help in improving digestion and alleviate the symptoms associated with vomiting of bile.
- Ensure that you remain well hydrated. Vomiting results in a loss of fluids which can lead to dehydration. Oral re-hydration solutions should be consumed regularly during the day.