Throwing up or vomiting can be associated with several factors and most commonly linked with the kind of food you consume. It is therefore important to eat the right kind of foods after an episode of vomiting, to prevent a recurrence and also hasten the recovery process.
In principal it is recommended to avoid the consumption of spicy and pungent foods after an episode of vomiting and instead opt for foods that are bland. Also consume small portions of food, to prevent a recurrence. This article lists down the foods that should be consumed after an episode of throwing up and also suggests some tips that hasten recovery and prevent a recurrence.
What Foods Should You Eat After Vomiting?
While it is recommended to consume small portions of bland food after an episode of vomiting, there are certain foods which are very beneficial in alleviating the symptoms and hastening recovery,
- Bananas: Banana is nutritious and is loaded with potassium. Potassium is an important mineral which is lost during an episode of vomiting and consuming a banana can replenish the body’s potassium levels. Banana is also loaded with energy, which is considered beneficial in hastening recovery. Further, a banana is easier to digest.
- Whole Grains: A toast comprising of whole grains is considered to be a good food to eat immediately after throwing up. Whole grain toast is loaded with dietary fiber, which helps improve the digestive process and also prevents subsequent episodes of vomiting. Further whole grains are loaded with carbohydrates, which provide essential energy required to hasten the process of recovery.
- Soup: Vegetable soup is easily digestible, loaded with nutrients and is often recommended after an episode of throwing up. As an alternative to boiled vegetables, chicken soup is also equally beneficial to hasten recovery.
- Steamed vegetables like potato, tomatoes and carrots are also easily digestible. While these foods supply the body with essential nutrients and calories that are washed out during an episode of vomiting, these foods also help regularize digestive process and prevent a subsequent episode.
- Steamed rice or rice broth is also easy to digest, very nutritious and helps in a quick recovery.
Tips For Eating After Throwing Up
While it is recommended to eat foods that are easily digestible, primarily to avoid a recurrence of the episode of vomiting, there are certain other tips that are also considered valuable,
- Consume small portions of food. Consuming small portions of food prevents an episode of recurrence and also provides the stomach an adequate amount of time to settle down and resume normal functions.
- Consume the food slowly. Take small bites and chew well before you take another bite. This is important as poorly chewed food can trigger a fresh episode of vomiting.
- Fluids in the form of soups, fresh fruit juices and water are considered to be very valuable intakes after an episode of throwing up. Vomiting results loss of fluids and consuming fluids helps replenish the fluid loss from the body.
- Avoid foods that are difficult to digest which include milk and other dairy products, spicy and oily foods.