There are certain factors however which might result in vaginal odor and resulting from poor vaginal hygiene. Poor vaginal hygiene often results in infections, sexually transmitted diseases, urinary tract infections, pelvic inflammatory disease, etc. There are simple home remedies and natural treatment options to maintain vaginal hygiene and to keep vaginal infections at bay.
How to Maintain Good Vaginal Hygiene
Here are some simple tips that can be beneficial in maintaining good vaginal hygiene,
- Using a mild soap and water, regularly clean the skin around the outer genital region. Ensure that you dry the skin adequately using a dry towel before putting on your panties.
- Avoid strong or scented soaps, as the vaginal area may be slightly sensitive to strong soaps. Instead use glycerin soaps which are relatively mild.
- Always wipe the genital region after urination or bowel movement. Ensure that the movement is from front to back, to prevent the contamination of the vaginal mucosa by feces.
- Regularly having a Sitz bath would prevent bacterial infections in the vagina and also improve vaginal hygiene.
- Avoid Douching. According to the National Women’s Health Information Centre, this is a common practice in theUnited States. However frequent douching reduces the natural acidic balance of the vagina making it prone to secondary infections.
Home Remedies to Keep Vaginal Infections at Bay
Here are a few home remedies that can be beneficial in enhancing vaginal hygiene,
- Tea tree oil is considered to have strong anti-microbial properties. Add a few drops of tea tree oil on the tampon and put it into the vagina. Leave the tampon on for the night. This is considered to be beneficial in preventing fungal and bacterial infections.
- Alternatively one could use a few drops of Vinegar, which also has profound anti-fungal properties. Add a few drops of vinegar to your bath water and clean the external genital region using it.
- Drink a glass of butter milk or low fat yoghurt on daily basis. This treatment is considered beneficial in promoting the growth of healthy bacteria in the vagina, which play a vital role in improving vaginal hygiene.
In addition there are some other simple tips that can be beneficial in improving vaginal hygiene,
- The choice of undergarments plays a crucial role in maintaining vaginal health. Avoid wearing pantyhose every day and wear clothes made out of natural fibers rather than synthetic fiber.
- Avoid tight clothing, especially tight jeans.
- Wash your clothes every day and ensure that you wear them when they are dry. Wet cloths can cause infections as they provide a suitable environment for the growth bacteria.
- Having a healthy and well balanced diet plays a vital role in maintaining vaginal hygiene. Avoid processed foods and foods containing preservatives. These foods are known to result in hormonal disturbances and hence should be avoided. Organic foods should be preferred.