Wrinkly skin syndrome is an inherited and genetic disorder. The unique features of the condition are wrinkles or sagging of the skin, loss of elasticity and delay in closure of the fontanels. There are a host of other associated symptoms, which may vary significantly.
The condition is a genetic disorder which is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion.
Some experts believe that wrinkly skin syndrome is a mild variant of autosomal recessive cutis lax syndrome (Type 2).
Symptoms Of Wrinkled Skin Syndrome
While the key symptoms associated with this condition include wrinkled skin, reduced elasticity and delayed closure of fontanel, there are a host of other associated symptoms. While these associated sign and symptoms may vary considerably, there are some common manifestations,
- Microcephaly or small size of the head.
- Down slanting eyes along with certain other unusual facial characteristics
- Mental development is usually impacted with results in delayed motor development and general intellectual disability.
- The joints are weak and tend to subluxate very easily.
- Hernias are frequent among individuals with wrinkly skin syndrome, typically inguinal and femoral hernias.
Natural Treatments For Wrinkled Skin Syndrome
Unfortunately, the condition can’t be completely cured given the genetic orientation of the disorder. However there are certain home remedies and natural treatment tips that can help improve the ability of the individual to cope with this disorder. The efficacy of these home remedies usually differs among different individuals,
- Intake of foods like prunes, Indian gooseberry, apricots, etc tends to influence the absorption of certain macronutrients like calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. These macronutrients will help significantly in dealing with muscular and joint weakness. Avoid artificial supplements containing oxalates since they tend to put additional strain on the liver.
- Increase the intake of foods that would help in motor and cognitive development. Brain foods like fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and dairy products can help promote good health and alleviate some of the associated symptoms.
- In case compromised mental abilities are linked with small sized head, there is nothing much that can be done. The child’s intellect may not develop, however the response to certain situations can be developed by regularly training and interacting with the child.
- Massaging the joints and the bones with essential oils like lavender and clove will improve blood circulation. Additionally, it can help hasten the process of motor development in children. Strengthening the joints and muscles will also help reduce the frequency of subluxations and hernias.
Homeopathic drugs have been found to be particularly effective in the management of genetic disorders. Consult a qualified homeopathic physician. Drugs like Natrum Mur, Bryonia Alba, etc have profound influence on the nervous system and can help to hasten motor development.
Simple exercises can also help contribute to improve the motor function and improve brain development. Parents need to especially focus on engaging the child in activities that would improve cognitive and motor development like block building, drawing and painting, etc.