Thrush is overgrowth of yeast called candida albicans in your body, especially in mouth. In medical terms it is known as candidiasis. In adults, thrush can affect different parts of the body such as skin, genitals and mouth. Thrush can also occur in infants and children. The severity can vary from person to person, and it depends on immune system of the person. Life threatening adult thrush can occur when the person’s immune system is compromised such as in AIDS patient or cancer patient. Mild cases can occur when the intestinal flora of good bacteria is disturbed, as in case after taking antibiotics.
Causes Of Thrush In Adults
- Thrush or candida infection occurs in an adult only when his immune system is compromised. Diseases like cancer, AIDS, are some of the causes for thrush.
- Excess use of antibiotics can also destroy the good bacteria present in the intestine and allow the growth of yeast.
- A hormonal change especially in women is the reason of vaginal thrush. Woman taking birth control pills can also suffer from thrush.
- Stress and nutrition deficiency can be a reason for thrush in adult.
- Diabetes is also one of the important causes for thrush in adults.
- Continuous use of steroids can accelerate the growth of yeast infection in the mouth and vagina.
- Adults who wear dentures and those who smoke are at a greater risk for thrush in mouth.
Symptoms Of Thrush
The main symptoms of thrush, regardless of what part of the body it is present, are burning pain, sore feeling and itching.
Oral thrush: there is a white creamy layer on the tongue, or in the inside of the cheeks, or on the floor of the mouth. The appearance is like white cottage cheese. In severe condition the infection can spread to throat and on the tonsils. The lesions are painful to touch and start bleeding as soon as they are scraped. Swallowing is difficult.
Vaginal thrush in adult woman: the white creamy layer is stuck on the vaginal walls; there is severe itching and a thick vaginal cheesy discharge. The vagina looks red and inflamed. Intercourse is painful. There is burning sensation while passing urine.
Home Remedy For Thrush (Vaginal Thrush) In Adults
- Grapefruit extract is one of the effective home remedies for thrush in adults. Grapefruit extract is a potent antimicrobial, and helps to get relief from thrush.
- Another potent home remedy for thrush in mouth is virgin coconut oil. It is safe and can be used in children and adults. It can be applied in the mouth, with a cotton swab or simply take a clean cloth, dip it in the oil and gently rub the cloth inside the mouth with your finger. Coconut oil contains caprylic acid, it has potent antifungal action. The mother can apply coconut oil on her nipples before feeding, when she or her child is suffering from thrush.
- Yogurt is also a good home remedy for thrush in adults. It is also used for thrush occurring in children. Smear the yogurt gently on the thrush patches in the mouth.
- Baking soda is another active home remedy for thrush for adults. All you have to do is mix one teaspoon of baking soda in ten ounces of water. Rinse the prepared water in the mouth before throwing out. Do this procedure twice in a day.
- Vaginal thrush in a adult woman, which looks like white of a curd that has stuck on the vaginal wall, you can apply few drops of garlic oil on the vaginal wall or it can be mixed with a carrier oil such as coconut oil. Garlic can be consumed orally or it can be added to the food preparations. Garlic possesses natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. The only disadvantage is that you will have garlic smell.
- To restore slight acidic atmosphere in the vagina of an adult woman, vinegar is useful. Alkaline medium in the vagina allows the yeast to thrive. Mix two teaspoon of vinegar in ten ounces of water. Dip a tampon in the solution, and insert it in the vagina while you sleep. Next morning remove the tampon.
Together with home remedies, the person has to improve his immune system. He has to eat food rich in vitamins and minerals. Make life style changes, sleep for seven to eight hours, stop cigarette and alcohol, eat at regular hours etc.