Yeast infection can be managed successfully; however, there is a tendency to recur. Simple treatment is usually effectual, unless you have recurrent infections of 4 or more in one year. In that case, you’ll need a longer course of medication and a maintenance strategy to ward off recurrences.
Yeast infection in the underarms is characterized by redness, irritation, and intense itchiness.
What Causes Underarm Yeast Infection?
By and large, the cause is the fungus candida. Candida is a microbe that is known to live in your body, along with certain bacteria. On the other hand, there is equilibrium between the yeast and the bacteria. Lactobacillus bacteria produce acid, which prevents an overgrowth of the yeast. But, when there occurs a disturbance of the healthy balance, the yeast multiply.
Too much of yeast riggers redness of the armpit, itching, burning, and sometimes fever too.
Overgrowth of yeast may be triggered by:
- Taking too many antibiotics, this results reduction in the amount of lactobacillus bacteria, which in turn allow the yeast to multiply.
- Neglected diabetes
- Poor immune mechanism
Symptoms Of Yeast Infection
Yeast infection is manifested as:
- Redness and irritation.
- Severe itching in the underarm.
- Occasional swelling of the area.
- Offensive sweat.
- Rarely, there could also be pain.
Natural Remedies To Treat Underarm Yeast Infection
These guidelines will help you manage a case of yeast effectively; nonetheless, it is recommended you get a doctor’s opinion, more so, in case of recurrences.
- Boric acid is an effective alternative to conventional medications to treat yeast infections; especially when you have recurring yeast infections not responding to any treatment. Boric acid is known to be effective against the less common strains of candida and candida which has developed a resistance to azole drugs. On the other hand, you must remember that, boric acid can irritate the skin and is also toxic if you ingest accidentally, particularly by children.
- Garlic is the most potent home remedy and food for practically all infections. Garlic helps clear up the case quickly and what’s more, it promises to prevent relapses. Have 3 to 5 flakes of raw garlic every day. Importantly, you must continue to take garlic even after the symptoms have subsided. Ideally keep taking garlic for about 2 to 3 months to ward off recurrences.
- Turmeric is another highly efficient home remedy for yeast infection. Have a spoon of turmeric mixed with honey 2 to 5 times per day. Also, apply a paste of honey and water on the affected area.
- Tea tree essential oil is medicinal aroma oil which combats a host of infections. Apply neat tea tree essential oil to the affected area on the armpit frequently through the day. It will hasten cure. Also, if you are susceptible to infections, add 2 to 3 drops of the oil in your bath water.
- Research says when you have lactobacillus containing yogurt, taken by mouth or applied, it helps. Experts advocate having a bowl of yogurt every day, especially if you are prone to infections.
- Most importantly, you must maintain the strictest levels of hygiene to successfully deal with the infection and avoid relapses.