The infection is caused by Candida albicans, a fungus, which is commonly present in the skin, mouth, and GI tract. It may take years before the patient detects that he has an infection. The infection could manifest in the form of penile infection, oral infection or thrush and internal infection.
Causes Of Yeast Infection In Men
The following are the significant causes of yeast infection in men:
- A weak immune system: a compromised immune system greatly increases the chances of infection by candida yeast.
- Antibiotic treatment: long-term antibiotic treatment wipes out the beneficial bacteria from the body. Reduced bacteria in the digestive tract set off an overgrowth of yeast thus causing infection.
- Diabetes: is a big risk factor. Sugar concentration in the blood and urine is high; this causes speedy growth of yeast.
- Yeast infected partner: sexual intercourse with an infected female results in yeast infection.
- Alcohol: excessive alcohol intake lowers the pH of the intestinal tract, and destroys the healthy bacteria.
- Certain foods: peanuts, corn and wheat products, and barley are known to trigger yeast infection. Overconsumption of these foods decreases the acidity in the intestine and consequently reduces the bacterial population. Thus, candida infection occurs easily.
Symptoms Of Yeast Infection In Men
The patient may either be asymptomatic for a long, long time, or may show the following clinical features:
- Penile infection is the most frequently seen manifestation. The patient complains of burning, itching and pain while urinating and sexual intercourse. The penis becomes red and painful. Blisters develop. There may be a white, offensive too.
- Oral infection / thrush is seen as white, raised lesions within the mouth, near the tongue or in the buccal mucosa. The lesions are painful and bleed easily. Occasionally, there may be pain or difficulty while swallowing.
- Other significant symptoms are: constipation, gaseousness and bloating, bad breath, indigestion, diarrhea, sexual dysfunction, and mood swings.
- Fatigue and lack of energy are common too.
Home Remedies For Yeast Infection In Men
- First and foremost, to need to eliminate sugar from your diet. Foods, such as barley, yeast foods, soy, dairy products, tuna, shark, and refined and processed foods need to be avoided.
- Yogurt: is a wonderful pro-biotic. It supplies are body with friendly bacteria that help reduce the population of yeast appreciably. 2 cups of sugarless yogurt daily, treats yeast infection speedily.
- Garlic: is the best anti fungal, anti viral and anti bacterial that we have. Consume 2 flakes of raw garlic daily. It provides immense relief.
- Essential oils: oils such as tea tree, cinnamon oil and oregano oil are valuable in the treatment too.
- Apple cider vinegar: affords great relief from the symptoms as well. Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to your bathwater.