Bumps of Penile Shaft
Bumps on the penile shaft can be indications of different kinds of conditions. Some of the common medical conditions that have bumps on the penile shaft as symptoms include the following:
- Hair Follicles. Those small nodular-like bumps that appear at the base of the shaft are actually normal hair follicles.
- Pearly Penile Papules. These are small dome shaped bumps that are located at the head of the penis.
- Angiokertomas. These bumps are characterized by small red spots that have a thick wart-like surface.
- Cysts. This is when the bumps look like small pea-sized nodules that are often filled with a cheesy-white material.
- Psoriasis. When the bumps are characterized by patches that have a definite border and are colored red.
- Lichen Planus. Pink bumps that are very small in size just like those bumps in pearly penile papules.
- Primary Syphilis. This condition is characterized by one round ulcer that can be found in the penile shaft or in the scrotum. This can be uncomfortable but painless.
- Penile Cancer. Ulcers that do not heal and have irregular bouts of pain.
How to Get Rid of White Bumps on Penile Shaft
White bumps found on penile shaft are commonly known as pearly penile papules. Below are some ways on how to get rid of these kinds of bumps.
- Pearly penile papules are harmless and usually do not need any form of treatment.
- Cryotherapy. This is a treatment procedure that uses nitrogen that is in its liquid form to freeze the lesions.
- Excisional Surgery – A tedious procedure that uses an anesthetic before the removal of the bumps. Sutures are also used to close the opening made during the removal of the bumps.
- Electrodessication with curettage. This is considered as a better method than cryotherapy and involves scraping the bumps out using a specialized tool. When this procedure is done, cauterization is done to close the wound and prevent bleeding.
- Laser Ablation using CO2. Patients here are given lidocaine and a cream that will numb the penile area. Then the bumps are vaporized using a carbon dioxide laser.
Bumps on Penile Shaft Treatment
- For those bumps that are considered harmless and painless, treatment is often not required.
- For those bumps that take the form of a cyst, it is best for it be removed to prevent further complications. Removal can be through excisional surgery.
- Antibiotics can treat those bumps that are caused by bacterial infection. These include some bumps that are caused by sexually transmitted diseases.
- Laser removal, cryotherapy, and electrodessication that are used in removing pearly penile papules can be used to treat other kinds of bumps that are observed on the penile shaft.