Gout is caused by an elevation of uric acid in the body. This can make the affected foot appear red and swollen. This is also painful, with some patients reporting so much pain that they have difficulties in walking.
Home Remedies for Gout in the Foot
The following are possible home remedies to be used against gout:
- A poultice made of activated carbon.
- A foot bath with activated carbon or Epsom salt. This will also help draw toxin out.
- Lime. The citric acid in lime gets rid of the uric acid. This lime juice can be mixed with water and drank daily, with at least a glass a day.
- Other options include:
- French beans
- Vegetable juices
What Causes Gout in the Foot
The following can cause gout:
- Uric acid crystals.
- Heredity and genetics. Some people are just more prone to gout than others because of their genetic makeup.
- Gender. Men are more susceptible to gout than women.
- Age. The older the person gets, the more he/she is susceptible to gout.
- Medical conditions. High blood pressure, diabetes, and other medical conditions can cause complications that could lead to gout.
- Dietary habits. Consumption of high amounts of red meat, yeasts, oils, beans, and other food items can also lead to gout.
How to Treat Gout in the Foot
Possible treatments include:
- Ice packs or cold compress alternated with hot compress. This will help reduce swelling and ease the pain.
- Intake of certain herbs, fruits, and various home remedies.
- Avoiding foods that trigger or cause gout.
- Drinking plenty of water and fluids.
- Avoiding caffeinated and carbonated drinks.
- Epsom salt and salty warm water bath can help ease the pain as well as remove the toxins that cause the gout.