The spinal column is composed of bones stacked above each other. This design allows a person’s trunk to perform some limited ranges of motion, such as bending and twisting. It supports the organs found in the thoracic and abdominal cavity, and its alignment determines an individual’s posture. The ideal posture maintains the normal alignment of the spinal column, without deviations.
What Causes Scoliosis
Most of the causes of scoliosis are mechanical in nature. The most common cause is practicing improper posture, which is typical among adolescents. Other causes include:
- Poliomyelitis. When a leg is shorter than the other, this can cause a shift in the hip and spine.
- Abdominal ailments. Muscle spasms and appendicitis which are painful to begin with may result to guarding motions.
- Structural disorders. In here, scoliosis is the result of other disease processes such as birth defects, metabolic ailments, and connective tissue disorders.
- Neuromuscular. Failure of the spine to either form or separate completely during conception.
- Degenerative. As a result of the aging process, changes in the components of the spine cause an alteration in both posture and gate. The ligaments which hold the spine together weaken and result to an abnormal curvature.
Ways on How to Fix Scoliosis
There are no known cures for severe degrees of scoliosis. However, conventional treatments guarantee to improve and restore the spine in its natural alignment. Usually, a child or adolescent diagnosed with the condition is required to wear a set of braces, which are removed only during bath time. Another option is to undergo surgery, but this can hamper the growth of the child. There are natural modalities available to improve a curved spine. These include:
- Chiropractic. This is a natural way of improving the muscle tone and function. As a result it can help improve problems related to posture.
- Calcium. The bones become prone to breakage and misalignment when much-needed minerals are not consumed on a regular basis. Calcium which can be sourced from dairy products and fortified orange juice largely prevents scoliosis.
- Exercise. Stretches can help maintain the integrity of muscles supporting the spine.