Angular cheilitis is characterized by cracks or sores at the corners of mouth, slight inflammation and soreness. It usually makes it very difficult for the individual to eat and talk, hence, prompt treatment is must.
Causes And Symptoms Of Angular Cheilitis
Angular cheilitis is a chronic condition, where the corners of the mouth show slight inflammation.
The condition occurs easily in people in whom the immune system is compromised or weak. People who suffer from continuous pooling of saliva at the corners of the mouth are also prone to infection.
Those who have undergone head and neck radiation are also prone to angular cheilitis. Iron deficiency, folate deficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency triggers the condition too.
Angular Cheilitis Symptoms
Sores / cuts at the corners of the lips are the chief manifesting symptoms of cheilitis. Swelling and rashes occur around the mouth. Bleeding is quite common. In some cases, lesions and ulcers form with discharge of pus.
Angular Cheilitis Home Remedy
Here are a few effective home remedies and food prescriptions that help in the quick healing of the sores, lesions, ulcers and cracks. The remedies soothe pain and dryness and prevent aggravation of the compliant.
- After you drink water, brush your teeth, or wash your face; dry your face and mouth completely. If water gets in to the cracks and sores, the condition tends to aggravate.
- Your diet will play a very vital role in the management of the case. Ensure that you have loads of fresh fruits and vegetables; they supply liberal doses of vitamins and minerals. Increase the consumption of green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, carrots, figs, and whole grains. They provide ample quantities of iron and vitamin B.
- Aloe vera, cocoa butter and honey are extremely effective in the management of the sores. Apply these on to the ulcers and cracks. They soothe the pain and irritation and help in rapid healing.
Home Remedies For Perleche
- Water is essential. Stay well hydrated; drink 10 glasses of water every day. To ensure that the affected area remains dry, drink water using a straw.
- Cucumber is decidedly effective to manage the cracks and sores. Rub cucumber slices on the affected area.
- Apply neem oil over the lips. Neem is the best anti septic and alleviates pain too.
- Do not use cosmetics and lipsticks. You may use honey / olive oil to moisturize the lips. They help lubricate the lips and check dryness.
Iron and vitamin B supplements are recommended by all experts. Also step up your daily intake of foods that provide these nutrients.