White or red bumps that appear on the surface of the tongue are called lie bumps. Sensation of pain and irritation is present with lie bumps and it is not contagious. The probable cause include extensive scraping and cleaning of tongue, vitamin B deficiency, trauma on the surface of the tongue due to sharp edges of food, etc.
Contrary to our belief a popular nomenclature ‘lie bump on tongue’ is not even distantly connected with telling lies or hiding truth. It is a simple terminology used for a more complicated medical word ‘transient lingual papillitis’. Lie bumps are tiny white colored bumps on the surface of the tongue appearing transiently; it means that they may appear for a short duration.
Medical fraternity and researchers are still not able to find the exact cause for development of lie bumps on tongue. The condition is affected with tiny taste buds on the upper surface of the tongue.
What Causes Lie Bumps On The Tongue?
Lie bumps are inflammation of tiny papillae or tissues present on the upper surface of the tongue having an unknown etiology. However, the possible causes that may lead to ‘lie bumps’ are assumed to be as a result of rubbing and scraping of foods with sharp edges while eating. Or excessive rubbing and scrubbing of tongue while cleaning it.
Another presumptive valid reason is deficiency of B vitamins. Gastric indigestion, eating too much sour and acidic food, mental stress, changes in hormones during menses, are few other possible reasons for development of lie bumps.
Lie bumps may also develop when you drink something very hot. It may burn and irritate the surface of the tongue as well the inner mouth.
Lie Bumps Symptoms
Lie bumps are inflammation of the taste buds. They are transient, that means they remain for sometime before healing on their own. Usually the symptoms are mild but annoying. Red and white prominent bumps that appear on the surface of the tongue are painful and the person may find difficulty while eating food. Sometimes the pain and tenderness remains for several days. A lie bump clears on its own provided you do not irritate your tongue any further.
Treatment For Painful Bumps On Tongue
Even if reassurance is all that your doctor may have in his medicinal armament to offer, there are popular ways to get rid of pain and irritation caused due to lie bumps.
- One of the easiest ways to deal with painful lie bumps is to apply cold compresses. And what more you may prefer than a plain vanilla ice cream. The coldness will numb the area and simultaneously soothe your tongue.
- Unfortunately, if you are diabetic, you may have to select other alternative and that is an ice cube. It will eliminate the pain temporarily. You may have to repeat it after sometime when sensation begins to return.
- Rinsing your mouth with warm salt solution helps to alleviate pain and infection. Salt has mild antiseptic properties.
- Another natural home remedy to treat lie bumps is to drink boiled milk mixed with dried figs. Figs are known for their ability to cure gastric derangement. If this is the cause drinking boiled milk with figs is the preferred choice.
- Mint leaves are another age old home remedy for soothing lie bumps. Chew few mint leaves and you will find relief in pain on your tongue caused due to lie bumps.
- Since vitamin B deficiency is supposed to be one of the probable reasons for lie bumps, eat green leafy vegetables, fruits and foods containing B vitamins. It helps to prevent further occurrence of lie bumps.
- You can avoid the trauma to your tongue by limiting excessive scrubbing of the tongue.