Mouth ulcers are painful sores in the mouth. They may develop on the gums, tongue or cheeks. They may come singly or in clusters. By and large, ulcers heal within a week.
Depending on the size and the severity, there are various kinds of mouth ulcers. A mouth ulcer is easy to cure using some effective home remedies.
Mouth Ulcers Causes And Symptoms
Causes Of Mouth Ulcers
- Hormonal changes trigger mouth ulcers
- Dietary deficiency of vitamin B and vitamin C.
- Allergy to foods that contain food additives, such as permissible flavors and colors
- Bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, etc.
- Poor dental hygiene
- Certain medications
- Ill fitting dentures
- Irritation due the use of strong mouthwashes
- Trauma due to vigorous brushing
- Syphilis infection
- diabetes mellitus, T.B., AIDS, cancer
- Leukoplakia: a pre-cancerous sore that develops on inside of the cheek or on the tongue, due to persistent irritation
- Gingivo-stomatitis: a viral infection of the gums and the oral mucus membrane
- Aphthae or canker sores
Symptoms Of Mouth Ulcers
- Ulcers are seen as round spots that are shallow; grey, white or yellow in color and have an inflamed border.
- When certain foods are eaten, particularly spicy and salty, the ulcer triggers pain. By and large, an ulcer heals without scarring within 10 days.
- In severe cases, the individual may feel ill and a little feverish. The lymph nodes around the jaw may enlarge and get painful.
Home Remedies For Mouth Ulcers And Blisters
The following home remedies help treat mouth sores / ulcers successfully and speedily:
- Coriander Seeds: Boil 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds in a cupful of water.
- Saltwater: The most effective remedy is salt. Salt is the best anti septic and anti bacterial. Add 1 spoon of salt to warm water. Gargle every morning on waking.
- Baking Soda: mix 1 spoon of baking soda with 1 spoon of water and make a paste. Dab this paste on the affected area, it eases pain instantaneously.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Apply diluted hydrogen peroxide to the mouth ulcer. Blend equal quantities of hydrogen peroxide and water, and dip a cotton swab in the solution. Applying this solution helps heal the ulcer promptly.
- Indian Gooseberry: Blend together 1 spoon of powdered Indian gooseberry bark and 1 spoon of honey. Apply to the sore.
- Basil: Basil has been used to treat a host of diseases and ailments effectively. Chew 5 basil leaves every day, it speeds healing.
- Glycerin: Blend 1 spoon of turmeric and 1 spoon of glycerin. Apply this blend to the mouth sore, it promotes quick healing.