There are a wide range of conditions associated with dry mouth. Inadequate production of saliva may result in a dry mouth, which in turn can be a very uncomfortable condition. There are certain home remedies and natural treatment guidelines that can help in effective management of the condition.
Dry Mouth Causes
There are a wide range of conditions that are responsible for dry mouth condition.
- Certain medications tend to interfere with the ability of the salivary glands to produce adequate quantity of saliva. These drugs include anti-histamines, muscle relaxants, drugs used to treat hypertension and obesity and certain medications used for the treatment of psychotic disorders and Parkinson’s disease.
- Damage to the nerves supplying the salivary glands, especially the cranial nerves due to an head injury or surgery in the neck may result in reduced salivation and thereby cause a dry mouth
- Dehydration is another cause of dry mouth
- Smoking and tobacco consumption tends to interfere with the production of saliva.
- Certain disease and infections like diabetes, HIV, rheumatoid arthritis, cystic fibrosis and stroke are some of the condition associated with dry mouth. Certain treatment regimen like chemotherapy and radiation therapy can result in dry mouth.
Natural Dry Mouth Remedies
Dry mouth or Xerostomia occurs primarily associated with dryness due to decrease in flow or adjustment in the production of saliva.
- Sip small quantities of water at frequent duration. This will help cleanse the mouth and also keep it moist for most part of the day
- Avoid spicy and oily foods. In addition avoid mint or cinnamon as it may further result in drying of the saliva production
- Avoid acidic foods like oranges, coffee, soft drinks, etc. Due to lack of production of saliva, these foods may not be adequately neutralized which in turn may result in bacterial growth in the oral cavity, further aggravating the problem
- Take steps to reduce excessive stress. Try relaxation techniques and try to reduce stress.
- Avoid smoking, consumption of tobacco and alcohol
Dry Mouth Remedies
There are certain homeopathic remedies that are very effective in the treatment of dry mouth. Homeopathic remedies are related with fewer side-effects
- Nux Moschata is a homeopathic remedy which is effective in treatment of dry mouth, especially when the production of the saliva is decreased. Often this homeopathic remedy is more effective in treatment of dry mouth with thick and coarse saliva
- Belledona is another homeopathic remedy used for dry mouth caused due to excessive stress. Typical symptom associated with belledona is dryness in the mouth on getting up in the morning and increased thirst.