A scratched roof of mouth can be exceedingly uncomfortable; it feels raw and dry. Scratches and sores are rather common, however, it is vital that you treat the condition soon, given that, it can further worsen and you may even develop abscesses.
You can easily manage the condition with simple home remedies.
Causes Of Scratched Roof Of Mouth
Drinking and / or eating hot foods is the most common cause.
- Eating spicy and pungent foods is another essential cause.
- Smoking as well as chewing tobacco causes scratchiness of the roof of mouth. Hormonal changes, immune depression, deficiencies and stress, which occur when you do not eat a wholesome diet, could contribute to this condition.
Home Remedies To Heal Scratches On Roof Of Mouth
The following home remedies help deal with a scratched roof of mouth effectively. Try out the remedies for 7 to 10 days, in case you fail to see any amelioration, confer with your health care provider.
- Avoid eating hot and spicy foods. Restrict yourself to easy-to-chew foods. Have more of fluids and liquids; opt for a diet of soups and broths for at least one week. It will expedite the healing.
- Steer clear of all hard foods too – toasts, biscuits, etc.
- Whatever solid foods you eat, chew them very slowly, so that the roof of the mouth does not get further irritated.
- Have a lot of water. Ensure that you drink a minimum of 3 liters of water daily. Also, keep gargling with cool water; it allays the pain and discomfort appreciably.
- Cold milk is another effective remedy. Have plenty of cold milk frequently through the day.
- Ice pop also helps decrease the soreness.
- Turmeric has been recommended as well. Blend a spoon of turmeric with a spoon of honey; apply this to the roof of your mouth. It may sting you for an hour or two, but the thereafter the healing takes place very rapidly.
- If you have severe pain, you could take an over-the-counter analgesic; however, it is always advisable to consult your doctor.
- In case the scratch and sore is due to a deficiency, take vitamin B-complex supplements to make the healing rapid. Also, have plenty of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits.
- Vitamin C also speeds up healing. What’s more, it’ll prevent the occurrence of infection. Have a supplement twice daily for 5 to 7 days. Alongside, have loads of berries, mangoes, guavas, bell peppers and limes.
- Salt water gargles help reduce soreness and pain too. Add salt to warm water and gargle several times through the day.
- Ensure that you always use a soft toothbrush to brush your teeth. Also, replace the toothbrush every month.
- Another very beneficial home remedy is aloe. Take a leaf of the aloe vera plant, clean it well and slice it lengthwise. Express the gel from inside the leaf and apply to the mouth 5 to 7 times a day. Aloe vera soothes the pain and soreness and allays all discomfort. It speeds up healing too.
- Quit alcohol and smoking; both are known to irritate the mouth as well as make it worse, so avoid both till the scratch is cured. Also, steer clear of chewing tobacco.
- Fluocinonide gel: Apply fluocinonide gel to the roof of the mouth, after consulting your doctor, in case of canker sores.