Gum infection is associated with food which gets stuck in the teeth. The food may result in bacterial infection, which in turn may result in irritation and itching and often be associated with bleeding. Dental caries are commonly associated with gum disease. Simple home remedies have been found to be highly effective in treating gum disease and maintain oral hygiene.
Signs for Gum Infection
Some of the early warning signs associated with gum infection include,
- Tender, swollen and red gums with occasional bleeding after brushing
- Gum recession
- Bad breath also referred to as Halitosis
- Dentures don’t fit properly
- In severe cases the condition may be associated with tooth loss
Cure for Gum Infection
Oral hygiene plays a crucial role in preventing and controlling gum infection and disease. Brush your teeth daily, at least twice a day. Flossing is also beneficial as it prevents accumulation of food particles and plaque between the teeth. Gargling after every meal and avoid very acidic foods, which in turn promote the growth of bacteria in the oral cavity.
In addition there are several other natural remedies that are effective in the management of gum infection,
- Vitamin C: As per the journal of periodontology, lower intake of Vitamin C is linked with periodontal disease.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D has strong anti-inflammatory action and reduces the incidence of gum disease. A study conducted in Boston University indicated that Vitamin D levels were related to gum disease and gingivitis. Though sun light is most important source of Vitamin D, dietary supplements including vitamin D have also been found to be highly beneficial.
Home Remedies for Gum Infection
Here are certain home remedies that are effective in the management of gum infection,
- Tea Tree oil is a strong antibiotic and its tropical application can help control the most severe forms of gingivitis. It is advised to apply tea tree oil mother tincture or use paste that contains tea tree oil to enhance gum protection.
- Cranberry juice protects the teeth from bacterial infection and prevents bacteria from sticking on to the teeth. It is recommended that an daily intake of four ounces of juice at least once a day is adequate. However it is essential to consult the doctor if you suffer from kidney stones or use blood thinners.
- Homeopathic drugs like Kreostote and Graphitis are very beneficial in treating gum condition which is often associated with damaged and decaying teeth.