Sore gums are extremely painful condition and at times there is associated bleeding, which makes the condition more complicated. You should not neglect your dental hygiene as many of us do, because one of the causes of sore gums is bad dental hygiene. It is necessary to consult your dentist when you suffer from sore gums to know the root cause for your problem, meantime you can try home remedies which will help to relieve your pain and swelling before you get an appointment for your dentist.
Causes Of Sore Gums
There are various causes that make your gums to be sore.
- Often we brush too forcefully to remove those yellow stains on our teeth, this may not remove the stains but instead make your gums sore. The other reason for sore gums is use of bristles that are very stiff and hard. To prevent sore gums one should also brush his teeth in circular motion rather than back and forth.
- Incorrect flossing of teeth can cause sore gums.
- Gum disease, primarily caused due to bacteria can be a reason for sore gums which eventually loosen the teeth and shrink the gum line.
- Tobacco smoking and chewing can cause sore gums. The toxins present in tobacco invade the gum tissues causing inflammation and pain. Prolonged use of tobacco can be cause for gum and mouth cancer.
- Ill fitting dentures can also cause sore gums.
Home Remedies For Sore Gums
Sore gums home remedies are as follows:
Since ages man has suffered from sore gums and the gum ailment is not new for human beings. Before invention of modern medicines, people used home remedies successfully to treat their teeth and gum diseases. Mentioned below are some useful home remedies for sore gums.
- The first thing what you need to do is to boost your immune system. Eat plenty of raw fruits and fruit juices and vegetables that are packed with anti oxidants such as vitamin C and Vitamin A.
- Bergamot oil is another home remedy for sore gums used to reduce swelling and pain. Since bergamot oil is a natural anti septic containing chemicals that can fight the bacteria, use it as a mouth wash or you can apply it directly on the sore gum.
Natural Cures For Gum Disease
- To relieve sore gums naturally, a mouth wash with Echinacea is also effective home remedy. Echinacea improves immune system and it acts upon the bacterial infection due to its anti septic properties.
- Clove oil is used since ages for treatment of toothache and gum problems. Take some clove oil on your finger and apply it on the affected sore gum to obtain quick relief.
- When you get sore gums due to bad dentures, what you need to do is simmer a tea bag in warm water. Once the tea bag is simmered, put it on the affected sore gum for 3 to 4 minutes. You can repeat it for two to three times in a day.
- Boil three to four grams of peppermint and add a pinch of salt. Sip the tea twice in a day. It is an effective Chinese home treatment for sore gums.