You can imagine how difficult and embarrassing it must be to hide something that makes your face look unpleasant. Sores in corner of your mouth are difficult to hide, besides the sensitive skin in this area causes severe pain with slightest movement of your mouth. Angular cheilitis or angular stomatitis is a medical name for this condition.
Usually the sores appear on both corners of mouth. With angular stomatitis it is painful even to smile and laugh. These cracks and fissures in corner of the mouth can stay for many days if you do not take proper care. At times the sores may bleed especially while you open your mouth. As days pass small shallow ulcers or crusts may appear in both corners.
What Causes Sores In Corner Of Mouth?
Although till now people are not able to find any specific reason for angular Cheilitis, certain triggering factors are suspected to contribute for appearance of cracks and fissures in corner of mouth. Deficiency of B vitamins especially vitamin B2, folate deficiency or deficiency of iron due to poor dietary intake or malnutrition, ill fitting dentures in elderly individuals etc.
These sores become infected by the fungus mainly candida albicans and other germs. Sores in corner of mouth appear again and again when your immune system is not at its optimum. Certain other factors such as constant stress, hormonal changes and poor dental hygiene, digestive disturbances is known to trigger sores in mouth as well as in its corners. Sores in corner of mouth can occur in people of all age group, though they are common in adults and elderly individuals.
Angular Cheilitis And Vitamin B Deficiency
Vitamin B2 plays a major role in metabolism of carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism. A sore in corner of mouth is common among people suffering from deficiency of vitamin B2 (riboflavin). If a person is chronic alcoholic, it is possible for him to suffer from cracks and fissures in the corner of mouth.
Poor source of vitamin B2 in diet is the main reason for its deficiency, but it can also occur in those suffering from chronic liver disease. Certain medications for depression and psychosis, oral contraceptives etc are also known to cause its deficiency.
The first sign for vitamin B2 deficiency is sores in corner of mouth. Rich source of vitamin B2 is organ meat, eggs, green leafy vegetable, yogurt, cereals and grains, milk and milk products. If you are suffering from sores in corner of mouth, you should increase your intake of these foods.
Home Remedies For Sores In Corner Of Mouth
- Keep the area of mouth sores as dry as possible. Do not try to lick it with your tongue as most people do. The reason is moisture around the area can worsen them.
- Keep a paper napkin handy so that you can wipe the area as soon as it becomes wet while drinking and eating.
- Take a pinch of turmeric and apply directly to the area or mix it with glycerin to make a paste. Apply the paste in the corner of mouth. Turmeric is a natural antibacterial. It will effectively irradiate the germs inhabiting in the mouth sores.
- Eat green leafy vegetables, milk and milk products, egg, meat and food grains they are natural source of vitamin B2, since deficiency of this vitamin is known to trigger sore in corner of mouth.
- Use proper fitting dentures and maintain dental hygiene.
- Tea tree oil acts on fungus, since Candida infection is commonly present in sores apply it regularly till you find relief from the symptoms.
- Mash a ripe banana and mix it with yogurt. Eat the mixture daily after meals when you are suffering from cracks in corner of mouth.