Lifestyle changes, dietary habits and lack of proper oral hygiene are the main contributing factors for you to get swollen gums pain. Gum disease are not new, they were also prevalent in olden days, that is the reason you come across many natural home remedies suggesting how to treat gum pain effectively.
However many of these home remedies give a symptomatic relief for gum pain and gum swelling, but to reach the root of the cause of swollen gums there is no other substitute than a dental check up.
Causes Of Swollen Painful Gums
Causes of swollen gums around the tooth include:
- Gingivitis: it mostly results from poor dental hygiene. A thin film of bacteria and food forms on the tooth surface known as plaque. Continuous plaque formation results in tartar and decay of tooth, which ultimately leads to swollen and painful gums if not treated on time.
- Deficiency of vitamin C can cause a disease known as scurvy. In this disease there the gums get swollen and they often bleed.
- If gingivitis is not treated it will lead to more serious condition called periodontitis or pyorrhea. The gum recedes from the teeth and there is growth of bacteria and food accumulation in the area. This will form pus and destroy the gum tissue resulting in loss of tooth.
- Ill fitting dentures can cause swollen gums and pain in jaw.
- Herpes virus
- Strong tooth paste and mouth washes having chemicals.
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Certain medicines can also cause swollen gums.
Swollen Gums Pain Home Remedies
Home remedies for swollen and painful gums:
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth regularly with tooth brush having soft bristles. Brush your teeth at least twice in a day. Once in the morning and once after dinner.
- Avoid sugar and sugar rich foods.
- The best home remedy for gum and tooth care is massaging your teeth with a pinch of salt thrice in a week.
- Clove oil is an effective home remedy for painful gum. This is because the oil has antibacterial properties. For toothache rub it directly on the affected tooth with the help of a cotton swab. Do not swallow the oil. For gum pain and swelling prepare a mouth wash with half glass of water and 2 to 3 drops of clove oil. Rinse it twice in a day.
- Prepare a paste of castor oil and camphor. Apply it on the gum. It is an effective home remedy for swollen painful gums.
With all the above natural home remedies you can alleviate swollen gums pain temporarily, a dental check up is essential to find the root cause of the problem.