During pregnancy a female’s body undergoes significant changes. Some of these changes can result in physical and mental stress. Most of these changes can hamper the female’s ability to perform routine functions, which she was otherwise capable of performing. Hence, it is important to understand the implications of pregnancy on one’s body and work towards keeping fit and healthy during pregnancy.
Here are seven essential tips that can ensure a healthy and fit pregnancy. These tips not only reduce stress on the female during pregnancy, but also improve the baby’s health.
- Eat Less but Frequently: Eat small quantity of healthy food, frequently during the day. Consuming small quantity of foods prevents gastric disturbances and heart burns. Eating foods every 2 to 3 hours ensures optimum blood sugar level, for the mother and the child. Interestingly, it can also help prevent gestational diabetes.
- Eat Right: A balanced diet is imperative for a healthy pregnancy. Include fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, pulses, legumes, lean meat, egg, dairy products, etc in your daily meals.
- Gentle exercise and yoga: Perform gentle exercises and yoga during pregnancy. Gentle exercises help improve blood circulation through the body. It can also help alleviate symptoms like joint pain, tiredness, fatigue, etc. Yoga postures additionally boost natural immunity and improve metabolism. Always consult your doctor/ midwife to understand what exercises/ yoga postures are allowed for your condition.
- Sleep and Rest: An adequate sleep for about 7 to 8 hours each day is imperative. Sleeping reduces stress and improves immunity. In case you can’t sleep at a stretch, take a nap for 1 to 2 hours in the afternoon. Sleeping helps your body rejuvenate and re-energize.
- Mediate: Meditation helps deal with psychological and emotional stress during pregnancy. It allows your mind to relax and focus on the child. Meditation during pregnancy also creates a bond between the mother and the child. A 15 minute meditation each day is extensively helpful to reduce stress and improve coping abilities.
- Supplementary Nutrition: While a balanced diet is helpful, deficiencies during pregnancy can be detrimental to your child. Hence, nutritional supplements play an essential role in a healthy pregnancy. Iron, calcium, folic acid supplements are key during pregnancy. Amino acid supplements may be recommended in case your doctor suspects growth retardation. These supplements are not only for the fetus, but also for the mother’s quick recovery, post delivery.
- Regular Follow ups/ Checkups: The importance of regular medical checkups can’t be underestimated. Regular medical checkups during pregnancy can help identify issues with the pregnancy early on. This tends to improve the ability of your doctor/midwife to deal with pregnancy related issues.
These are general tips that are helpful to all during their pregnancy. However, it is important to consult your doctor/ midwife before using any of these tips. Modifications in how these tips are used may be recommended, depending upon your underlying condition.