Gastritis is a medical term used when there is inflammation in the lining of stomach wall. This can lead to many digestive problems. Gastritis and pregnancy are related closely. Often a pregnant woman experiences gastritis symptoms as a result of several causes. One of the causes is stress which a woman commonly undergoes during pregnancy period.
Gastritis and Pregnancy Symptoms
Gastritis during pregnancy is not permanent problem; it can be reversed with right treatment.
Here are some prominent symptoms of gastritis which a woman experiences during pregnancy.
- Weak digestion.
- Bloating and belching
- Burning sensation below the breast bone.
- Occasional pain in the stomach region.
- Loss of appetite.
- Excessive flow of saliva from the mouth.
- Bitter taste in the mouth.
- Foul smell in the mouth.
- Generalized weakness.
How to Relieve Gas During Pregnancy
Every person passes some amount of gas; however many woman pass more gas during pregnancy. This is due to high level of progesterone in pregnancy. Progesterone relaxes smooth muscles of the digestive tract which leads to accumulation of gas and consequent burping, bloating and flatulence. The growing uterus puts more pressure on the organs of the abdominal cavity and pushes the stomach, leading to further slowdown of digestion.
- Constipation is the common cause for gas and bloating. Eat enough fiber diet so that the bowel movements are regular. However keep a limit for fiber as more fibers can also lead to passage of gas.
- Do not overload your digestive system with large meals. During pregnancy, the stomach muscles are relaxed and digestion is slow. Therefore eat smaller meals frequently.
- Eat slowly; do not hurry while eating food as you are bound to swallow air with the bolus. This will lead to more gas in the stomach.
- Avoid or eat less gas producing food such as cabbage, fried food, carbonated beverages, and beans etc.
How to Treat Gastritis in Pregnancy
- Chew cloves after lunch and dinner. It is an excellent remedy for gastritis caused during pregnancy.
- An herbal tea prepared from ginger, and licorice is useful in treating gastritis problem during pregnancy.
- Carrot juice mixed with spinach juice is effective in treating the gastric irritation. Carrot is also beneficial for a pregnant woman due to its high vitamin content.
- Chewing fennel seeds after each meal is beneficial in relieving gastritis caused due to pregnancy.
- Avoid alcohol, condiments, spices, caffeinated drinks.
- Eat more vegetables, grains and fruits.
- Prepare a concoction from crushed aniseed and boiling water. Let the liquid cool down, now strain and drink 2 tablespoon of it at a time. It helps to relive symptoms of gastritis to a great extent.