Being pregnant and delivering a child is considered to be a boon for every woman. Unfortunately, due to any untoward circumstances, a woman may not wish to carry an unwanted pregnancy. Such women search for ways to terminate pregnancy. The type of procedure depends on how many weeks a woman is pregnant.
During the initial weeks of pregnancy, the preferred options may be medical abortion or surgical termination of pregnancy. Before considering any procedures for termination of pregnancy, it is necessary to determine with the help of sonogram the viability of pregnancy and accurate weeks of pregnancy.
Terminating An Unwanted Pregnancy?
For the first seven to nine weeks of pregnancy, the options may be with abortion pills. For first trimester, dilatation and curettage of uterus is advised by gynecologist as the surest way of abortion. Any type of abortion procedures should be done with the help of gynecologist.
- Mifepristone and misoprostol: it is used up to first seven weeks of pregnancy. It is also known as RU-486 or the abortion pill.
- Aspiration: it is a surgical method of terminating pregnancy up to 12 to16 weeks. Many people refer it as dilatation and curettage (D&C).
During the second trimester, medical abortion with pills is not effective. The type of pregnancy termination methods used is:
- Dilatation and curettage (D&C): it is often the best surgical option method that can be used till 16 weeks of gestation.
- Dilatation and evacuation (D&E): it is usually preferred after 16 weeks of pregnancy.
Termination of pregnancy in the third trimester includes surgical procedure of dilatation and extraction. It is also known as intrauterine cranial decompression. In many countries termination of pregnancy is considered illegal during the second and third trimester.
Home Remedies For Terminating Early Pregnancy
Many women do not want to divulge their pregnancy nor do they want anyone to know about their miscarriage. These women resort to different natural ways to terminate pregnancy. Natural methods of terminating unwanted pregnancy are used since centuries.
These methods are tried only during first trimester. However there is no certainty of it being totally effective. In case if the method fails, the woman has to resort to traditional D&C surgical option. Some of ways to terminate pregnancy naturally include:
- Parsley tea with vitamin C supplement is good to begin with. Parsley tea is prepared by boiling parsley in water. Steep parsley for 15 minutes and drain the liquid. Sip 2 to 3 tea spoons of this herbal tea three to four times in a day.
- Angelica/ Dong Quai is a uterine stimulant. It helps to contract the uterus, thus helping the contents to be expelled.
- Black cohosh/ blue cohosh are other natural herbs that help the uterine contractions and relaxation of cervix.
It is necessary to consult your doctor before taking the herbs. These herbs should be avoided in case the woman is suffering from diabetes, hypertension, kidney, heart and liver disease.
Terminating Early Pregnancy Without Seeing Doctor
Self induced abortion or terminating a pregnancy without consulting a doctor in this modern age is not advised. This is because there are several safe options and medical methods available to terminate an unwanted pregnancy. Self induced abortion can be life threatening.
Some of the methods that are still practiced to terminate pregnancy without going to doctor are:
- Lifting heavy objects in the beginning stage of pregnancy.
- Massage over the abdomen.
- Consuming certain foods that are known to be abortifacient, such as drinking carrot seed soup.
- A woman receives punches and kicks over the abdomen.
- Douching with substances that may have anecdotal history of inducing abortion.
- Hitting the belly over hard surface.
All the above methods are unreliable and dangerous. They may do more harm than good.