There are various foods, supplements and home remedies that help increase breast milk production, these foods are known as galactagogues; and enhance lactation. Include the following foods in to your daily diet; however, it is also recommended that you consult your gynecologist.
Home Remedies for Breast Milk
The following home remedies help boost milk production:
- Brewer’s yeast: boosts milk supply appreciably. Brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast provides the body with vitamin B complex, chromium, protein and phyto-estrogen.
- Green papaya: is an amazing source of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.
- Black sesame seeds: consume about 2 to3 spoons of the seeds daily; it promises to increase milk production.
- Turmeric: exerts powerful lactogenic properties and also wards off inflammatory reactions.
- Decoction: combine 1 ounce dried chamomile flowers, 1/8 ounce dried lavender flowers, ¼ ounce fennel seeds, ½ ounce dried nettle and 1 cup of boiling water. Drink 1 cup everyday.
How to Increase Breast Milk Production
Here are certain guidelines, with respect to food and diet that you need to follow, in order to ensure optimal milk production:
- Eat well: eating regularly and eating adequately promises good milk supply.
- Drink plenty of water: drink at least 3 to 3 and ½ liters of water everyday, it will help maintain a favorable milk supply.
- Eat at least one warm meal per day: include one source of protein, salad, whole grains, and cooked vegetables like yam, spinach, French beans, peas, carrot, and fennel.
- Yogurt: yogurt is a probiotic; you could also take a lactobacilli supplement to protect the gut flora and increase production of milk.
- Healthy fats: groundnut oil and olive oil provide you with essential fatty acids.
- Chicken soup: doctors recommend chicken soup, especially, simmered with the bones for 2 hours and rich with chicken fat. Have it once a week. Chicken soup restores vitality, ensures abundant milk supply and fights post partum depression.
Foods That Increase Breast Milk Production
Oats, ginger and garlic have been touted as the best galactagogues that promises healthy and abundant milk production and milk release:
- Oats: are a nervine or nerve tonic; i.e. it works on the nerves and stimulates them. Oats guarantee you good and optimum breast milk production. Oats acts like a powerful anti depressant, anti spasmodic, and also increase perspiration. Large dosages of oats kick starts milk production. You could take oats for breakfast or as a snack.
- Ginger: this herb encourages milk let-down and milk flow. You may take ginger tea or ginger ale. Nevertheless, do consult your gynecologist before taking ginger, more so, if you have bled a lot during child birth.
- Garlic: is a potent galactagogue. It increases the synthesis and release of milk. If you do not want to consume garlic, take a capsule / supplement of the herb, about 1 hour before breast feeding. Experts advise that you should take only 1 clove per day; you may increase the number of flakes later on.