Braxton Hicks contractions, labor and swelling all over the body, causes immense pain and discomfort. These natural methods promise to hasten delivery and labor, and present no danger to your health or the child’s.
The following are the most optimal and safest means to dilate the cervix and encourage your body to go into labor easily.
Home Remedies For Labor Pain
- Massage: massages are the first thing that is recommended by most doctors and experts. A massage is of immense help in allaying pain during labor. Gently rub your abdomen during labor pains / contractions or have a masseuse do it. A massage helps calm muscles and blocks pain appreciably.
- Using a hot towel / heating pad: doctors say that using hot compresses is good; it helps ease the tension and hastens the process of childbirth and delivery.
- Changing positions: changing positions during labor provides comfort, by relieving some degree of pain and enhancing circulation of blood.
- Hot and / or cold therapy: this technique helps cope with labor pain. You may either use hot therapy, or cold therapy, or use them in combination. A hot compress greatly eases muscle spasm and tension. A cold napkin on the forehead helps cool down and drives away some degree of tension and stress. Sucking ice chips is recommended too. You may also place ice packs on the lower back to relieve back pain and discomfort.
How To Relieve Labor Pain Naturally?
- Walking: walking, especially, long walks are advocated by doctors. They encourage labor to set in speedily.
- Visualization meditation: meditation is a very powerful tool to help you to relax and de-stress. Guided imagery in combination with meditation has been advised by most health care professionals; it involves visualizing yourself in a comfortable, happy and relaxed setting. Let your mind wander to that relaxing place; it will definitely ease labor pain. Playing some soft music will help you too. Visualization mediation dispels fear, stress, worry and all negative emotions. It helps drive out deconstructive thoughts and stimulates peace, stillness and calmness.
- Breathing techniques: breathing techniques are a natural pain relief during childbirth. Steady, rhythmic breathing help the body relax, and distracts you from labor pain. In addition, breathing techniques decrease giddiness / dizziness feelings of nausea etc., during labor. What’s more, breathing in a controlled manner brings in more oxygen to your body and baby.
Acupuncture for Labor Pain Management
Research and clinical trials have found evidence that acupuncture offers natural pain relief during labor. Acupuncture, an ancient Chinese therapy involves an acupuncturist insert tiny needles in to various parts of the body. Acupuncture promises increased relaxation during labor and a diminution of pain.
Experts say, along with acupuncture, it would be a good idea to incorporate massage, reflexology or acupressure and hypnosis. These therapies when integrated together relieve muscle tension and promote relaxation.