Tonsils are an important part of the lymphatic system and play a vital role in the overall immune system of the body. The tonsils are located between the throat and the oral cavity and play a vital role in protecting the body form infections. The tonsils become enlarged when there is some form of infection affecting the face, head or neck region.
In general an inflamed and infected tonsil is associated with several symptoms like fever, malaise, weakness and throat pain. However tonsillitis during pregnancy is a high risk condition as it can result in several complications which may have a detrimental effect on the growing fetus.
Is Tonsillitis Harmful To Pregnant Women?
Inflamed tonsils can be harmful as the condition can be associated with negative effects on the health of the fetus include risk of rheumatism and related complications like heart and renal problems while tonsillitis during pregnancy can lead to septicemia and edema in the mother.
Further conventionally tonsils are treated using high grade antibiotics, which can pose other health risks including severe diarrhea leading to dehydration.
All these gastrointestinal symptoms can impact the mother’s ability to eat, thereby compromising the availability of nutritional supply for the growing fetus. Further antibiotics have also been linked with certain developmental deformities and disorders in the growing fetus.
Home Remedies For Tonsillitis During Pregnancy
Conventional treatment therapy suggests the use of anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers along with the use of antibiotics. However various studies have recommended that pregnant mothers should avoid the indiscriminate use of antibiotics and analgesics. Here are some simple home remedies and natural treatment options to manage tonsillitis during pregnancy,
- Gargling with warm saline water is recommended. Warm water helps improve blood circulation in the throat and hasten healing, while salt has mild anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Drink lemon tea about three to four times a day. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice to a glass of water and add a table spoon of honey. Lemon is loaded with vitamin C which is vital to boost natural immunity while honey has anti-microbial properties and soothes the throat.
- Ginger tea is also useful in treating tonsillitis in pregnant women. Add a spoon of turmeric and honey to ginger tea. Turmeric is considered to be a potent natural analgesic while honey adds flavor to the drink. Further turmeric has strong anti-microbial properties that can help fight the infection naturally.
- Ensure that your diet is healthy and easily digestible. Include boiled vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet. Vegetable soup like beet, cucumber and carrot soup is considered very useful in treatment of tonsillitis. Avoid oily, spicy and starchy foods as they require a lot of energy to digest, which in turn may delay the process of healing.
- Homeopathic drug namely Baryta Carb and Merc Sol are potent against treatment of tonsillitis and can be used safely during pregnancy. However, material doses should be avoided. Homeopathic medicines should be taken on an empty stomach to maximum effectiveness.