Hair care and hair problems are not new, they are addressed since ages, bad ingrown hairs is one such annoying condition faced equally by men and women. Bad ingrown hairs are not a serious health problem but definitely painful, ugly and bothersome skin condition. The medical term for ingrown hairs is pseudo follicullitis barbae and it is generally referred by people as razor bumps.
Bad ingrown hair infection is a result of improper shaving technique. It is more often seen on men’s faces, especially on the beard. Bad ingrown hair infection in women occurs in the areas such as armpits, and the bikini line. The most common symptom is inflammation of the skin with red and irritating bumps, often filled with pus.
Bad Ingrown Hair Treatment
Let us know some of the shaving tips that prevent the development of ingrown hairs.
- Shaving is the main cause for ingrown hairs. That is the reason it is also called razor bumps. The best preventive measure is not to shave. However logical it may be, it is not practical as not all men and women will prefer to have hairs on the unwanted areas. Therefore practicing safe shaving techniques is useful.
- Shave with an electric razor.
- Use shaving gels as it contains lubricating agents.
- Moisten your skin with warm water before shaving.
- Shave the same direction as the hair grows.
Home Remedies for Bad Ingrown Hair
- Do not try to shave with a razor when the bumps are present. It may lead to spread of infection.
- Exfoliating technique is effective in preventing bad ingrown hairs. Exfoliation can be performed with a scrubbing pad, or a scrub can be made at home with baking soda and liquid soap.
- A paste of gram flour and turmeric powder is also used as an exfoliating scrub. It can be applied on the delicate areas of bikini line or on the thighs and in underarms.
- To relive pain and inflammation from bad ingrown hair, apply paste prepared from clay and few drops of almond oil for three consecutive days. Wash your face in the morning with warm water.
- Pus may come out from the bump. A tiny hair growth can be seen from the bump.
- Within a day pain and redness will disappear.