An individual’s complexion is predetermined by genes and race. In certain countries, individuals are born with dark complexions while in some countries individuals are born with a light or fair complexion. The common desire for fair-skinned individuals is to get that perfect tan. On the other hand, the common desire for dark-skinned people is to achieve a lighter complexion.
No matter the individual’s complexion, there are treatments available to change it. There are cosmetic treatments widely available and there are also home remedies that can change a person’s skin complexion as desired.
Genes and race predetermine a person’s complexion. With medical and cosmetic breakthroughs, treatments have been developed to lighten the complexion in people that are naturally dark-skinned.
- Certain Asian countries are naturally dark-skinned people.
- Individuals of African-American descent are naturally black-skinned people.
- Certain ethnic groups and tribes are also naturally black or dark-skinned individuals.
- Individuals with mixed descent are often dark-skinned because genes that carry the dark complexion are more dominant than the genes carrying the light complexion.
- A dark complexion for African-American varies.
Black Complexion Treatment
There are cosmetic treatments that can lighten an individual’s dark complexion.
- Dermatologic treatment. Consult with a dermatologist on treatments offered for skin lightening. Make sure to set realistic goals especially with the individuals’ specific skin tone. Realistic goals are achievable and result in satisfying end-results.
- Skin lightening products. There is a variety of skin lightening products available in the market. These products come in the form of lotions, creams, and even oral medications to help lighten an individual’s skin tone. Care is observed in the choice of skin products for individuals with dark skin because dark-skinned individuals have naturally dry skin.
How to Lighten Black Skin Complexion
The most successful methods of lightening a dark complexion are through medical or cosmetic interventions. The success of the skin lightening treatment goes hand in hand with natural remedies for preventing skin darkening. Treated skin is more prone to skin darkening so care must always be observed.
- Avoid overexposure to direct sunlight.
- Use sunscreen daily and apply as necessary especially when out in the sun for long periods of time.
- Wear protective clothing such as sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats, umbrellas, long pants, or long-sleeved shirts.
- Supplement with vitamin C daily. Vitamin C helps reduce the amount of melanin produced that is responsible for the skin’s pigment. The lesser the melanin produced, the lighter the skin tone.