Elbows and other parts of the body are prone to darkening due to many causes. The effect is often harmless but it causes a lack of self-esteem and self-confidence nonetheless. There are commercial treatments as well as home treatments that can easily remedy this condition.
- The elbows are one of the areas in the body prone to skin darkening.
- Another common area prone to skin darkening is the knees.
- Melanin is a substance in the body that is responsible for giving color to a person’s skin.
- Lack of melanin gives some people their fair complexion.
- An abundance of melanin gives people a darker complexion.
- Melanin can be unevenly distributed in the body causing some parts to be darker than others.
- Uneven distribution of melanin can cause an uneven skin tone that causes a decrease in self esteem and lack of self-confidence.
- Men and especially women lack the confidence to wear short-sleeved shirts or sleeveless shirts for fear of exposing their dark elbows.
Dark Skin on Elbows Causes
The causes of darkened elbows are often harmless. These can include:
- Benign hyperpigmentation or active melanocytes in the elbows.
- Overexposure to rays of the sun.
- Use of certain medications.
- A diagnosis of certain diseases (i.e. Addison’s syndrome)
- Improper hygiene
- Lack of exfoliation
- Accumulation of dirt and grime
- Constant contact or friction with clothes
- Constant leaning on elbows
- Skin dryness
How to Remove Dark Skin on Elbows
There are inexpensive remedies to lightening darkened elbows. These include:
- Washing the elbows regularly.
- Exfoliating the elbows regularly on a weekly basis.
- Moisturizing the skin regularly especially on the elbows and other dark areas on the skin.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 on dark areas.
- Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated.
Homemade skin treatments include:
- Olive oil – a natural alternative to body creams and helps moisturize the skin.
- Lemon – rubbing a freshly cut lemon onto the elbow and leaving it on for a 10-15 minutes helps to naturally bleach darkened areas.
- Baking soda or salt – combined with other ingredients such as lemon juice makes for a perfect body scrub.
Ingredients to look for in moisturizing creams:
These are natural ingredients known to effectively moisturize the skin.
- Shea butter
- Jojoba oil
- Sweet almond oil
- alpha hydroxyl acids or AHAs