Almost everyone has had an acne breakout and frequently dark scars appear as the skin heals and recovers. Post acne scarring is known as post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation and they may be pink, brown, purple or black, depending upon the skin tone, as they are caused by melanin that is synthesized by the healing skin.
These scars tend to take some time to fade away; however, there are a host of home remedies that can help speed up the healing process.
Clogged pores, poor skin care and bacteria along with changing hormone profiles trigger acne that is characterized by pimples and eruptions. The degree of inflammation determines the type of blemishes that you get, such as pimples, blackheads or cysts.
When the eruptions burst or recede, they often scar your skin, leaving behind dark spots.
How Does Acne Cause Dark Spots?
Acne develops in the skin when surplus sebum (skin oils) combine with grime and skin debris and occlude the pores of your skin. It is fairly common, especially for teenagers, and some experience they right up to adulthood.
Not all cases of acne scar your skin; some acne outbreaks lead to scarring and formation of dark spots. These spots are your body’s natural healing process; nonetheless, you can opt for home remedies which lighten these scars.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Spots From Acne
- First and foremost, follow a good skin cleansing ritual. Use a gentle face wash and use water based moisturizer daily. To lighten the acne scars, avoid the sun. UV exposure makes the scars darker; hence use a good sun block.
- Use a gentle cleanser containing natural abrasive agents, – salt, powdered sugar, gram flour and cinnamon. Use these only once in 7 to 10 days.
- Apply an Aloe Vera gel all over the affected area twice daily. Aloe Vera has natural healing properties as well as anti-bacterial agents which help de-clog your pores, revitalize your skin, and fade away the unsightly spots.
- Honey is an excellent home remedy to manage acne as well as the scars. Apply honey in a thick layer all over your skin so as to form a mask. Leave for half hour. Honey is packed with potent anti-microbial properties and natural rejuvenating agents which help heal your inflamed skin and effectively get rid of dark spots.
- Baking soda and water have been found to be effectual too. Blend the two together; the paste should be pliable in texture. Massage in to acne as well as dark spots. This helps get rid of bacteria from the pores, prevents new acne outbreaks and also gently erodes away the dark spots, leaving your skin radiant and rejuvenated.
- Vitamins A, E, and C are dubbed as ‘skin foods’. Confer with your dermatologist and start supplements. These quickly heal the skin and the undesirable scars quickly vanish. Also, step up your daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables – these will naturally provide you with thee vitamins.
- For cases of recurrent and stubborn acne scars, you need to visit a dermatologist. Your doctor will remove the uppermost layer of the epidermis, eliminating the dark spots and revealing a healthy, normal-colored skin below. He will also prescribe an oral medication to prevent further breakouts and thus help avert further scarring.