Since face is an integral part of your looks and personality, every human being desires to have an attractive face. Unfortunately, there are skin conditions that can discolor your face. Facial discoloration can cause immense distress and loss of self esteem among the sufferer. Most importantly it is very difficult to hide skin discoloration on face.
Keeping this perspective in mind, the problem should be attended as early as possible. There are several reasons for facial discoloration- living an unhealthy lifestyle; eating unhealthy food, overexposure to sunlight, use of cosmetic products, environmental pollution and aging are few contributory factors for changes in color of the facial skin. Let us know the reasons for facial discoloration before discussing the treatment and preventive measures.
There may be tiny discolored spots on the face or a large part of the face may become discolored. Facial discoloration is a skin pigment disorder. Generally, the skin color is attributed to the cells called melanocytes. These cells produce a pigment called melanin. Concentration of melanin gives color to your skin.
What Causes Facial Skin Discoloration?
Disorders causing hyper-pigmentation: excess of melanin production can occur in any type of skin, it may be dark or light. On face, hyper-pigmentation is often noticed after an injury, acne or eczema. A dark spot may form after an injury is healed or acne is treated.
- Chloasma is a common facial discoloration disorder. In the beginning it appears as a light brown pigmented patch on the cheeks. It later spreads to the nose, the upper lips, and on the chin. In early stage the discoloration is discreet, symmetrical on both sides of the face. As the disorder progresses, the dark patches become confluent and involve the whole face. The common known cause for chloasma includes pregnancy, and disorders of ovary. Chloasma generally disappears after pregnancy, but persists in some women, particularly when it follows an abortion or miscarriage. In few women, Chloasma on face may occur after the use of contraceptive pills.
- Hepatic disorders can contribute to discoloration of face. Diet deficient in animal fats, green leafy vegetables and fruits can cause chloasma.
- Use of facial cosmetics containing volatile oils, aniline dyes, and perfumes can cause discoloration of face due to photo-sensitization action.
- Aging and overexposure to sunlight can cause dark spots on the face. They are also known as age spots.
- Vitiligo is a white patch on the skin. This occurs when the melanin pigments are destroyed for unknown reason from a certain area of the skin. vitiligo patch can appear on the face. Over a period of time the condition can spread to different parts of the body. Vitiligo is a hypo-pigmented patch on the face.
- Tinea versicolor is a fungal infection. It may appear on the face as a white patch on the face.
- Freckles on face are common in fair faced individuals. They are light or dark brown colored tiny spots on face due to sun exposure.
Home Remedies For Discoloration Of Facial Skin
There are number of remedies for the dark spots on the face. Use of home remedies is preferred since they do not have any side effects.
- Cucumber: rub fresh slice of cucumber on the face daily to diminish the dark spots on the face. Besides cucumber there are other vegetables such as potato and tomato that can be used to lighten the facial blemishes.
- Turmeric and gram flour: mix a pinch of turmeric powder in 2 tablespoon of gram flour. Now add 1 tablespoon of milk cream and prepare a semisolid paste. Apply it on your face half hour before bathing. Clean your face with warm water while bathing. Gram flour and turmeric powder effectively lightens the dark chloasma spots.
- Orange scrub: mix dried orange peel powder with milk in a bowl. Prepare thick paste by mixing the two ingredients. Apply it on your face and let it remain till it dries. The natural orange peel scrub helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells from the face.
- Potato is a good bleaching agent. Apply potato juice on the face. Instead of the juice you can also rub a raw potato on the face.
- Lemon rinse: mix few drops of lemon juice in a glass of warm water. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent. Apply the lemon rinse once in a week to scale back the darkening spots.
Besides home remedies, there are facial skin creams that are effective in reducing the dark discoloration on the face. Microdermabrasion, IPL, and laser are other treatment avenues that can be thought of to diminish the discoloration on the face.