Frown lines are vertical wrinkles that develop between the eyebrows on the forehead. They are part of growing age. Many people find these vertical lines on forehead unattractive and they seek possible ways to eliminate them. Unfortunately, frown lines are challenging and stubborn. They are deep wrinkles which do not disappear or reduce easily.
Recently Botox injection has made its mark in diminishing this line, but its effect is temporary. Dermatologists have achieved a permanent solution by removing the muscle that creates frown lines. Both these techniques are expensive. For people who do not want to make a hole in their pocket, the easy way is to fade frown lines with several home remedies. However, the results are not quick and a person should have patience.
What Causes Frown Lines On Forehead?
Frown lines are also called glabellar lines. They are easily visible in elderly people when they frown. These lines develop over a period of time and it is a part of skin aging. With growing age,the skin loses its collagen and elastin matrix.
Several factors trigger early frown lines. Too much exposure to sunlight for a prolonged period of time damages the collagen fibers in the skin. As a result the skin loses its elasticity with more likelihood of developing deep wrinkles. The skin also loses its moisture with overexposure to UV light of the sun.
Repetitive facial expressions such as frowning, laughing, crying is also a trigger for frown lines.
Smoking can lead to several health problems. Smoking reduces collagen production and as a result, the skin tissues become weak and thin. People who smoke excessively are known to have premature skin wrinkles, including frown lines.
Lastly there is hereditary tendency for development of frown lines. If your parents have prominent frown lines between the eyebrows, you are at risk of developing them.
How To Get Rid Of Frown Lines?
Frown lines are deep furrowed wrinkles. They are difficult to be erased easily. You can get rid of them at a dermatologist’s office with several available procedures.
- Minor frown lines can be diminished with the help of Botox injections. Botox injection therapy has become popular worldwide in treatment of wrinkles. Botox is a toxin and its action is to paralyze the muscle. It is injected at the intended site. However, the down side is that its effect lasts for 3 to 4 months after which patients have to again take another shot of Botox.
- Injectable cosmetic fillers is also tried to reduce frown lines. The filler can be collagen, hyaluronic gel etc. When injected at the wrinkle site, they fill the frown lines and make the skin smooth. Here too, the results are temporary and last for six months.
- Corrugator muscle removal is another alternative option for those who want permanent solution from frown lines. It is a cosmetic plastic surgery performed at doctor’s clinic.
Natural Ways To Reduce Frown Lines
All the above procedures are expensive. There are several home remedies and natural treatment which can be effective in fading the visible deep frown lines.
- Change your lifestyle. Avoid stress and stop smoking. People with chronic stress often frown. Repeated action makes the lines deeper and more noticeable.
- Apply sunscreen daily when you go out in the sun. Wear sunglasses as it helps to prevent your eyes to squint in sunlight. Frequent squinting results in worsening the glabellar lines.
- Egg white is a time tested home remedy for wrinkles. Apply egg white on the frown lines regularly. The results are not instant. You have to keep patience to find reasonable improvement.
- Keep your skin well moisturized as dry skin accelerates development of wrinkles. Apply almond oil or coconut oil regularly over the frown lines. A gentle massage in this area helps to provide needed nourishment. Massage gently with any of these oils.
- Place cold metal spoon on the area for few minutes if you want to reduce the frown lines. The method works only for short period of time. It is beneficial for those who want an instant solution for a while when they want to attend a social function.