If you are obese, if your thighs are bulky, frequently they rub with each other while walking or running. Constant rubbing and friction between thighs leads to chafing on inner thighs. The skin of the inner thigh becomes irritated and sore due to friction and sweating, there is burning and redness associated with chafing.
Chafing on inner thigh though not a serious condition can be irritating and embarrassing, especially for a woman who wants to wear short dresses or when she wants to wear a swimming suit. Repeated chafing on inner thigh turns the skin dark. Even though chafing on inner thigh is not a threatening condition you should not neglect it, as the badly bruised skin surface becomes vulnerable to oozing and infection.
If you are thinking how to get rid of chafing, there are plenty of natural and effective treatment options available.
- The first thing that you have to focus upon is to reduce your weight. Inculcate healthy food habits and reduce your calories besides exercising. This will help to reduce your weight and also make your thighs thin. By loosing few pounds there is more space left between your thighs and there is less chance of rubbing with each other. Besides, reducing the size of your thigh allows the air to circulate freely and dry the sweat present on inner thigh.
- Wear long pants to prevent the skin of inner thigh from rubbing against each other. Wear shorts or pants that are not too tight so that there is free movement of air. Avoid nylon and synthetic fabrics as they tend to retain moisture, besides do not wear rough and coarse clothes. Wear loose fitting cotton garments to prevent chaffing on inner thighs, it keeps your skin cool and dry.
- Apply talcum powder on inner region of thighs. Talcum powder absorbs the moisture and makes the skin surface smooth; there is less friction between the thighs while waking.
- Drink plenty of water. Water keeps your skin well hydrated and prevents dryness. Dry skin together with rubbing aggravates the condition.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Chaffing on Inner Thighs
- Apply petroleum jelly on the chaffed skin surface of the thigh. It moisturizes the skin, reduces inflammation and burning, and soothes the skin.
- Chaffed skin heals more swiftly when it is not too tightly covered and there is enough room for free air movement. Therefore, wear loose trousers made from cotton during day time and while sleeping at night a loose fitting pajama is always preferred.
- Calendula oil or ointment is another important remedy for chaffed inner skin of the thigh. Apply it liberally two to three times in a day and find relief from the symptoms.
- The trio of Vitamin E oil, aloe vera gel and Vaseline act as lubricant that helps to heal as well as prevent any further aggravation to the condition.
- Athletes and runners should apply anti chafing cream before running or an athletic meet.