Body piercing is practiced since ancient days as many cultures considered it to be a social obligation, while for others it was a way to enhance beauty. In modern world piercing has become fashion trend. Monroe piercing is lip piercing which is slightly away from the center above upper left side of the lip.
This form of lip piercing symbolizes the famous actress Marilyn Monroe as it mimics the beauty spot she had just above her upper lip on the left side. Among teenagers and youngsters it has become the most sought after facial piercing.
Similar to any type of body modification procedures, Monroe piercing also comes with a baggage of problems; infection is on top of the list. If the piercing is infected, it may take long time to heal and the person may have to suffer from pain and various other complications. Normally Monroe piercing heals in one or two months. But an infected Monroe may take more time, sometimes requiring removal of labret stud.
The major cause of infection is use of unsterilized piercing tools and its close proximity to mouth which has many bacteria.
Symptoms Of Infected Monroe Piercing
There are several signs and symptoms that may indicate your Monroe piercing has infected. After piercing you have to monitor the piercing site everyday for any symptoms of infection. Usually the symptoms may develop within 2 to 3 days after piercing. Below are given important symptoms that may help you to detect infection.
- Pain is the first symptom of infection. There is severe throbbing pain at the site which begins after two to three days.
- Skin area above the lip becomes red with swelling of upper lip. Gradually the swelling spreads to other area of face. The area is tender and hot to touch.
- Due to swelling and pain, person experiences difficulty while eating and chewing food.
- Depending on the severity of infection, person may complain of body ache, headache, fever, and various other systemic problems.
- Few days after infection pus ooze out from the site. When the pus dries, it forms crust. Removing crust can cause bleeding and pain.
- The lymph nodes in neck become painful and swollen.
Home Remedies To Heal Infected Monroe Piercing
No sooner a person experiences symptoms of infected Monroe piercing; he should start the treatment to avert further complications.
- The first step to prevent Monroe piercing infection is to clean the area with warm water and antiseptic solution soon after piercing. It also helps to enhance the healing process if the piercing is already infected.
- Avoid frequent touching and squeezing the area with your hands. It will further mess up the problem. Whenever you want to touch the area, wash your hands with antiseptic solution.
- Avoid removing the jewelry or the stud as it may lead to formation of an abscess.
- Clean the infected Monroe piercing with salt water. Also use salt water as mouthwash. Salt has mild antibacterial properties.
- To alleviate pain and swelling, cold compresses are beneficial.
- Apply antibacterial ointment at the infected site. It will help the area to remain moist and also kill the bacteria.
- In more severe form of infection, consult your doctor. He may prescribe oral antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Build up your immune system by eating healthy and balanced diet. Raised immune level will help to fight the infection.
- Avoid smoking and drinking after Monroe piercing.
- Do not apply lipstick or cosmetic products around the infected area.