Ingrown hair is a relatively common condition, however scarring as a result of an ingrown hair is not very common. Ingrown hair is formed when the end of a hair borrows back into the skin, instead of growing outside. If due care is not taken, this condition may result in an infection, which may result in localized pain and swelling.
Fortunately, skin care regimens that can reduce the risk of scarring and also soften the existing scar tissue to prevent unsightly spots on the skin. There are some simple home remedies and natural treatments that are beneficial in the management of ingrown hair scars.
There are two possible conditions which may result in formation of ingrown hair scar,
- Some people are more prone to scarring than others, especially due to their genetic makeup. Such individuals are prone to develop scarring following an ingrown hair.
- Occasionally, ingrown hair can get infected, which results in swelling and pain at the site.
Ingrown hair scar results in discoloration of the skin, which results in appearance of spots on the skin. This gives the skin an unsightly appearance and hence prompt management of ingrown hair scars is vital for cosmetic reasons.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Scars From Ingrown Hairs
Here are some simple tips that can help you get rid of ingrown hair scars naturally,
- Apply olive oil at the site of the ingrown hair scar. Massage the skin with your fingertips in deep but slow circular movements for a couple of minutes. After massaging, apply hot compress at the site for a few minutes. Once you are done, wipe away the oil using a washcloth.
- Scrubbing the skin with a natural exfoliating agent can also be beneficial. Apply a paste of baking soda and water at the site and leave it on for a couple of minutes and then rinse the skin.
- Alternatively one can use freshly squeezed lemon juice, which also acts as a natural exfoliator. This not only tones the skin but removes the ugly scar and also has a soothing effect on the skin.
Here are some simple home remedies that can help in the management of ingrown hair scars,
- Increase your intake of foods that are rich in vitamin C. Include citrus fruits, broccoli, etc in your diet. Vitamin C hastens the healing process, enhances immunity and helps build collagen tissue in the skin.
- Vitamin E is another important nutrient for skin health. Vitamin E helps strengthen the skin collagen and also repairs skin damage promptly. Include vitamin E supplements in your diet.
- Local application of calendula ointment is also considered beneficial. Calendula ointment not only resolves a scar but also improves the skin tone and texture. This is one of the reasons while calendula ointment is recommended after a major surgery.
- Homeopathic medicine namely Graphitis is considered to help in treating scar tissue. Graphitis not only helps in resolution of the scar tissue, but also prevents the occurrence of scars in the future.