Skin tags are tiny skin appendages. They are in fact hanging over-growths of skin seen mostly among adult individuals. The tags are attached to the skin by a thin stalk. These harmless over-growths can appear anywhere on the skin surface, but they usually develop on skin folds which are frequently exposed to friction.
They are small, flat, fleshy over-growths, few millimeters in length. The medical name of skin tags is acrochordon. Skin tags are usually found on neck, armpits, inner thigh and under the breast. The deformed fleshy mass of skin can occur both in men as well as women. It can be a solitary skin tag or clusters of them at the same site.
Although skin tags are benign over-growths, they can sometimes cause irritation due to friction with clothing or they may bleed. As the tags are visible on neck, most people seek treatment to remove them due to cosmetic reasons.
What Causes Skin Tags On Neck?
Skin tags can develop on any skin surface but they usually develop on neck and areas which are frequently prone to friction. Rubbing of skin against skin or rubbing of clothes are two important triggers for development of these fleshy tags. Creases and folds make the neck area vulnerable for development of skin tags. Often the skin rubs against the skin in skin folds of neck. Constant rubbing can trigger skin tags in neck.
It may also develop due to friction with the shirt collar. They are often seen in obese individuals. The tags can develop in men as well as women. Some people are more prone to develop skin tags such as diabetics, people suffering from human papilloma virus, scratches and friction produced by wearing jewelry, and hormonal changes of pregnancy.
Skin tags are suspected to be genetically associated. It means if your mother or father has skin tags, you are more susceptible for its development.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Tags On Neck
Skin tags on neck are harmless growths, which usually occur in adults. They are soft, small skin growth few millimeters in length. But sometimes they can grow large in size. Larger sized tags can get irritated or bleed due to frequent rubbing. People seek treatment for two purposes, firstly because they are unsightly or due to irritation. There are several ways to remove skin tags on neck. They can be removed at a dermatologist’s clinic or at home. Larger one may require more precision technique as compared to smaller tags. Here are few effective home remedies to remove smaller tags.
- Skin tag on neck is attached to the underlying skin by a stalk. Tie the stalk with a dental floss or a thin thread for few days. It will cut the blood supply to the tag and after few days the tag will fall off.
- Prepare a paste by mixing castor oil and baking soda. Apply the paste over the tag present on neck. Let the paste remain in its place overnight. Wash the area in morning. Repeat the procedure daily until you find one fine morning the tag on neck has disappeared.
- Tea tree oil is a time tested home remedy for removing skin tags on neck. Soak a cotton ball with few drops of tea tree oil. Rub the cotton ball over the tag for few minutes in circular motion. Repeat it 2 times in a day for few days or a week. The skin tag will vanish after some days.
- Instead of tea tree oil, you can also use apple cider vinegar to remove skin tags on neck.
- Cut banana peel into small pieces. Place the inside of the peel over the tag. Cover it with a tape so that the peel remains in its place. Remove the peel in morning. Do it regularly for few days until the tag is removed.
At doctor’s clinic skin tag on neck is removed with various methods which include, laser, cauterization, and freezing with liquid nitrogen. These methods are usually useful for skin tags that are large in size or plenty of them are present on the neck.