A skin tag is a tiny, soft, flesh-colored growth which protrudes from the skin. By and large, it is known to be harmless. Nevertheless, if necessary, skin tags can be snipped off, or removed via cryotherapy or with electrical current at the dermatologist’s clinic. Characteristically, they are seen in areas where the skin may rub against skin.
Skin tag on the nipple is a soft, tiny, flesh-colored protrusion that is connected to the surface by a stalk. Though benign, you may opt to get rid of the skin tag for cosmetic reasons. Skin tags can be removed professionally, or you could use baking soda and water as a home remedy.
Skin tags are customarily benign and produce no symptoms, unless it gets recurrently rubbed or scratched, as with clothing, or jewelry. Very large skin tags could rupture under pressure.
What Causes Skin Tags On Nipples?
Skin tags on body are rather common, and mostly occur in middle aged people. These tags are caused by clusters of collagen as well as blood vessels that get trapped within thicker portions of skin.
Common causes and risk factors include:
- People who are obese and overweight are susceptible to the development of skin tags, possibly because these persons have lot of skin folds.
- HPV infection; i.e. those who have the human papilloma virus are prone to skin tags.
- Pregnant women due to the various changes in the hormone profile.
- Genetic factors.
- Those who have diabetes mellitus.
- Use of illegal steroids is a huge risk factor, since it interferes with the muscles and body, and cause collagen fibers to bond, and triggers skin tag formation.
Home Remedies To Remove Skin Tags On Nipples
Do not remove skin tags yourself given that there is an increased risk of infection and bleeding. What’s more, other skin growths like keratoses, moles, hemangiomas and pyogenic granulomas mimic skin tags and should be excised by a doctor only.
- If you wish to remove a skin tag at home, you could use baking soda. Mix baking soda with water to make a thick paste. Apply the baking soda paste to the skin tag thrice every day. Keep the paste on, even after it dries. Keep the paste for as long as possible, covering it with a bandage if required. While results vary, a skin tag is known to resolve in 2 weeks after the baking soda and water regimen. You will see improvement in the skin tag condition within the first week itself. If you do not perceive any improvement in the shape and texture of the skin tag in 2 to 3 weeks, confer with your doctor.
- In some cases, malignant skin cancers are known to take on the appearance of benign skin tags. Thus, before you embark up on the baking soda and water remedy to get rid of the skin tag, plan an appointment with your health care provider for an examination of the growth. Moreover, the presence of multiple skin tags is a symptom of an endocrine or hormonal problem, and needs to be investigated properly.
- Cryotherapy at the doctor’s office is another beneficial way of getting rid of skin tags effectively.