Stretch marks are fine lines on the skin which are caused when the under layer of your skin, known as dermis is torn due to overstretching of the skin. In medical terminology this off color violet marks are called striae.
Once formed, stretch marks can diminish over a period of time, but they do not completely disappear.
Causes Of Stretch Marks On Stomach
Stretch marks usually occur during puberty when there is rapid development of tissue.
The other prominent reason for stretch mark is pregnancy, rapid weight loss or weight gain, muscle building exercise, hormone replacement therapy, people taking steroids, heredity, physical stress etc. Stretch marks first appear as purple or violet lines, but gradually fade to a lighter color, when you touch; the stretch marks feel soft and empty.
Stretch marks are visible where there is more amount of fat such as in abdomen, hips, breast and buttocks. Stretch marks do not pose any risk to the body.
At least 50 percent of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy; they are more visible during sixth or seventh month of pregnancy as during this period the skin is subjected to lot of stretching.
Removal Of Stretch Marks On Stomach
There are home remedies which act very well to prevent stretch marks and fade them significantly to such a level that they are not visible at first glance.
- Apply few drops of lavender essential oil mixed with almond oil on the stretch marks regularly; this will fade the marks very soon. Lavender oil is the simplest stretch mark home remedy.
- To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy, it is recommended to apply the extract of Gotu kola and vitamin E cream.
- Aloe vera extract is the best home remedy used for stomach stretch mark removal. Aloe vera has the ability to go deep down into the dermal area and repair the damaged skin fibers. Massage aloe vera extract on the stretch mark daily early in the morning. It has a sticky feeling when you apply the extract.
- Eats nuts and beans, they contain ample of Zinc; it is known to repair the damaged skin tissue and helps stretch marks removal with aided local application of herbs.
- Cocoa butter is considered as an essential stretch mark removal home remedy. Cocoa butter can penetrate the upper layer of the skin called epidermis and reach down to dermis. The ingredients of cocoa butter start to repair the area from within outwards and stretch marks will become less noticeable.
Stomach Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
To prevent stretch marks, especially during pregnancy or otherwise you can follow these steps:
- Eat healthy diet so that you nourish your skin as well as the baby inside you. Eat foods having right amount of calories and provide vitamins and minerals which are essential during pregnancy.
- To maintain good elasticity of the skin drink enough water all through the day so that your skin remains hydrated.
- Do not drastically reduce your weight or take steps to increase your weight rapidly. Gradual weight loss or weight gain is all that is necessary to prevent stretch marks.
- Moisturize your skin with cocoa butter or almond oil regularly to prevent stretch marks.