Stretch marks are caused when the skin is stretched to such as point, that there is breakdown of the collagen tissue and the elastin present in the epidermis, the upper layer of the skin. In medical terminology stretch marks are known as striae atrophicae. Generally you will see these marks on the lower abdomen below the umbilicus in a woman after pregnancy.
Causes Of Stretch Marks
Some of the factors responsible for stretch marks are: pregnancy, rapid weight loss and weight gain, exercises for body building and hormonal changes. At times when a person is taking cortisones and other steroids, he may find severe stretch marks on his skin surface.
Home Remedies For Stretch Marks Removal
- Aloe vera: it is the best home remedy for stretch mark removal. Gently apply the gel on the stretch mark and massage it daily. It helps to remove the marks when applied for a period of time.
- Lavender oil: take few drops of lavender oil and few drops of almond oil, massage the oils gently in circular motion on the stretch marks, and follow the routine regularly for a period of time. The stretch marks will gradually fade.
- Vitamin E oil is another useful home remedy for stretch marks on the delicate area such as breast and lower abdomen. Break one capsule of vitamin E, and mix it with almond or olive oil. Apply the mixture on the stretch marks. If you follow the procedure regularly, the severe stretch marks after pregnancy can also be lightened by this method.
- To remove stretch marks, cocoa butter is also useful.
- Rubbing castor oil on the stretch marks also lightens them after some time.
- One of the natural remedy to remove the stretch marks is to apply egg white. The natural protein and vitamin E present in the egg helps to clear the stretch marks easily.