Unexplained bruises appear on different areas of the body without you remembering its origin. These bruises may appear pinkish red in color or similar to tiny red dots mostly on arms and legs.
It can be very small and hardly noticeable because it blends in with the skin color. Some bruises may appear swollen and accompanied by pain.
The bruising can last for several days to months. If the marks do not seem to be clearing away for several weeks, consult the doctor for underlying conditions.
What Causes Bruises Without Injury?
- The most common cause of unexplained bruising is diabetes. If a person has diabetes, there is a tendency to develop patches of black and brown skin that can appear in the neck or armpits, due to excessive insulin supply.
- If there is a concern for diabetes, check for other symptoms such as blurred vision, frequent infections, general fatigue and excessive thirst.
- Another possible cause is pressure from a minor bump that is hard to notice or remember due to the slight impact.
- When the person exerts too much effort in doing strenuous exercises, it can also tear the blood vessels in the body.
- Age can influence the density of the skin layers.
Unexplained Bruises on Legs – Serious Risks
- Sometimes, certain medications can leave unexplained bruises on legs and arms. Be advised when using medicines such as ibuprofen, NSAIDs, birth control pills and aspirin.
- Bruising without an injury can be a sign of diseases of the kidney, liver and blood such as hemophilia, leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease, multiple myeloma, scurvy and thrombocytopenia.
- Women who experience heavy periods while bruising should consult a gynecologist to rule out conditions affecting the reproductive organs.
Natural Home Remedies For Unexplained Bruises
- Rest is important when treating these unexplained bruises.
- Within 24 to 48 hours of bruising, apply an ice pack to the affected area.
- If there is swelling on the bruises on the arms, make an elastic bandage and wrap it around the mark.
- Elevate the leg on which the bruise appeared, to reduce the swelling.
- To increase the flow of blood, gently massage the area.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant properties.
- Follow a diet rich in iron, essential minerals and vitamins.
Popular Home Remedies
- Slice a raw onion and place it on the area to relieve pain.
- Banana peel can reduce the discoloration, as well as the pain.
- Apply a mixture of cornstarch and castor oil on the bruise, then wrap a bandage around it using a damp clean cloth.