Though your thighs remain usually covered, skin discoloration on thighs may still be an embarrassing factor, especially white discoloration. Besides a cosmetic problem, it may also affect a person’s intimate relationship with his or her partner.
White spots on skin can occur due to several causes. It can be due to vitiligo, it can be due to tinea versicolor or can be idiopathic guttate and many more causes that we will discuss in the next topic.
Actually, the color of skin is attributed to the density of skin pigments called melanin. Melanin pigments are produced by melanocyte cells situated in the skin. When melanocytes stop producing melanin pigments in the particular area of the body, the skin color in that area appears white. The reverse is also true, when melanocytes produce excess of melanin pigments, the skin becomes dark or hyper pigmented.
White spots on thighs in most cases are not harmful; in most cases the sensation of touch and pain is not lost on the spot, except in case of leprosy. Below are given some of the important causes for white spots on thigh.
What Causes White Spots On The Skin?
White spots on thigh can occur unilaterally as well as bilaterally, meaning they can occur either in one thigh or in both the thighs.
- Vitiligo: it is a skin condition where the melanin pigments which gives brown or black color to the skin are destroyed. The reason for this is not known, but experts believe it to be an autoimmune problem. Vitiligo can occur on any skin surface.
- Pityriasis Alba: there is mild discoloration of skin. It usually affects young adults and children. The white patches can appear on thighs as well as in other areas of the body such as trunk, hands, legs, face etc. The white spots of pityriasis Alba are slightly raised than the surrounding skin. They are rough and scaly. The condition is aggravated during winter months or in humid atmosphere.
- Tinea versicolar: it is a type of fungal infection occurring in moist areas.
- Idiopathic Guttate: they are type of white patches (leukoderma) mostly seen in older dark skin people who have long history of sun exposure.
- Other reasons such as leprosy, psoriasis can also cause white patches on the thigh.
Home Remedies For White Spots On Thighs And Legs
Most of the white spots are harmless; they usually take some time to improve on their own with proper skin care. However, in certain cases such as vitiligo or psoriasis or leprosy it is necessary to take prescription drugs suggested by the dermatologist.
There are many home remedies that are known to be effective in such condition:
- Put few drops on tea tree oil in olive oil or any other base oil and apply it on the white spot on thigh. Tea tree oil is known to be an antifungal natural remedy. It is useful in tinea versicolor infection of thigh.
- Mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax in equal proportion can be effective natural remedy in treating white patch on the thigh.
- Sunbathing is equally good for treating a white patch on the thigh.
- Reduce the intake of citrus fruits such as orange, lemon, tamarind, and sea foods.
- Make a paste of psoralea corylifolia and tamrind seeds. Massage over the Vitiligo patch regularly for few days.
- A glassful of butter milk is also beneficial in curing white patch on the thigh.
- Prepare fine powder of pomegranate leaves. Consume a pinch of this powder daily in the morning after breakfast.