Senna Tea Benefits
Senna is an exotic plant found in most tropical regions. Its leaves are used to make tea, which are said to have countless benefits. However, Senna Tea is mainly famous for its effect on weight loss and constipation. Senna tea works by relaxing and stimulating the walls of the colon.
Senna Tea for Constipation
Senna tea is alternately called Senna laxative. As a relief for constipation, the infusion of Senna leaves cannot be consumed for more than 7 days consecutively. Other conditions such as appendicitis, intestinal obstruction, Crohn’s disease, and ulcers may be contraindicated to its use. Below is the recommended procedure for preparing Senna tea for constipation.
- Steep the dried leaves in boiling water for around 10 minutes, or until boiling point.
- For those who want to avoid abdominal cramping, individuals may steep Senna leaves in cold water for about 10 to 12 hours. The leaves are strained, and results may be expected within 12 hours. The cold method of steeping allows separation of resin, which is largely responsible for accompanying abdominal cramping.
Senna Tea for Weight Loss
Senna tea aids in weight loss because of its colon cleansing properties. Natural laxatives help the body get rid of unwanted fats in the body. It can be prepared by doing the following:
- Pouring hot but not boiling water on 2 grams of crushed and dried Senna leaves, and steeped for around 10 minutes.
- Another way is by boiling 1 ½ cups of water with Senna tea bag for about 5 to 10 minutes. Afterwards, a slice of lemon is added for flavor.
- Two cups may be consumed twice a day, one in the morning and another prior to supper. This should be accompanied with a light diet, composed of mostly vegetables and lean proteins.
- Even with the tea, the individual must consume 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Spontaneous bowel movements and fat excretion occur within 6 to 12 hours after consumption.
- Weight loss can also result from the fast movement of the food in the gastrointestinal tract. This can inhibit absorption of nutrients, which result to fast weight reduction.
- Senna tea must be consumed responsibly and only in reasonable proportions.