Genetically, women have a tendency towards slim waists and larger thighs & hips. This is primarily to help women during pregnancy and child birth. Fats stored around the pelvis, hips and thighs of women acts as a protection for their reproductive organs as well as reserve storage of energy. However, excessive deposition of fat around the hips and the thighs can be distressing for some women and can disfigure the entire body shape.
What Causes Fat Accumulation on Hips and Thighs
The female hormone-Estrogen is the main hormone that results in excessive storage of fat in hips, thighs, and buttocks. While this is important biologically, it is because of this hormone that women find it very, very difficult to shed the fats on their buttocks, hips, and thighs.
After all, nature designed these areas for fat storage in women. Women become “pear shaped” when excessive fats get stored around the hips and thighs region. It also hampers normal activities such as walking, performing daily chores etc.
Most women would love to have well-toned shapely legs, slim thighs & tight hips for a perfect figure.
How to Reduce Hips and Thighs Fat
To reduce fats from hips and thighs, try to do the following exercises regularly:
- Swim daily for a minimum of 30-minutes. This will prove a very useful exercise for the legs and hips & help in getting them in a better shape.
- Take a brisk walk or go jogging daily for at least 30 minutes. Once again this will exercise the legs & hips and help tone them. Climb up & down the stairs for a really great exercise for the legs and the lower body. Specific exercises for legs such as leg curls, leg lifts, squats, and lunges are useful towards reducing fat in thighs & hips.
- Vigorous aerobics & cardio exercises also work out the areas at the hips and thighs and also help strengthen the muscles of the lower limbs.
- Yoga asana are considered to have a profound benefit in achieving well shaped lower body. Yoga postures like Virbhadrasana (or warrior pose) are considered to help strengthen the muscles of the legs, whilst aiding in losing excess body fat. This yoga posture is more specific and directed towards the thigh and the buttock.
- Whilst exercise can have its own benefits, a low carbohydrate diet can help in hastening the process of weight loss. Avoid transfats and saturated fats and opt for unsaturated fats like olive oil, flax seed oils and sunflower oil in your diet.