Ovaries are a part of the female endocrinal and reproductive system. Ovaries are responsible for the release of certain hormones like estrogen and progesterone (primarily female hormones), which are responsible for secondary female sexual characteristics like development of breasts, menstrual periods, voice changes, etc.
Under normal conditions, both the ovaries release ovum or egg, alternately (i.
Enlargement of the ovaries can be associated with a host of manifestations and can be treated using natural remedies.
Causes Of Enlarged Ovary
There are several contributing factors to the enlargement of the ovaries.
- PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease/syndrome) is one of the most leading causes of enlarged ovaries. This condition is characterized by formation of multiple cysts in the ovary along other systemic symptoms like obesity, menstrual irregularities and hirsutism (or excessive hair growth).
- Ovarian Hyper stimulation Syndrome: This condition is characterized by formation and enlargement of several ovarian follicles which causes the ovary to appear enlarged. This condition is associated with use of fertility drugs and is associated with symptoms like nausea and abdominal pain.
- Ovarian Cancer is another leading cause for the enlargement of the ovaries.
- Ovarian Cysts formed due to any causative factor including endometriosis is also associated with enlarged ovary. While in some cases the cysts may resolve spontaneously, in others the condition may require surgical removal.
Natural Remedies For Enlarged Ovary
The treatment regimen often depends upon the underlying cause which contributes to the enlargement of the ovary. A thorough evaluation comprising of physical examination along with radiological imaging studies is essential in order to rule out conditions like ovarian cancers. Here are some natural home based treatment options that might prove beneficial,
- Drinking plenty of fluids and remaining active is one of the primary requirements to deal with hyper stimulation disorder. This helps in natural elimination of toxins and excess of hormones, which might be contributing to the hyper stimulation.
- Ensure that your diet is healthy and balanced. Avoid refined and processed foods; instead opt for fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid trans-fats and meat.
- Regular exercise in the form of yoga or aerobics can help in regulating endocrinal balance within the body. It is recommended that one should engage in yoga and meditation for about 15-20 minutes each day to allow better coordination between the various endocrinal glands.
- Homeopathic drugs namely Sepia and Pulsatilla are considered potent in treatment of enlarged ovaries. In indication for use of Pulsatilla are irregular menstrual periods which may be too short and too painful, while that for Sepia is characterized by prolonged menstrual periods associated with generalized weakness and debility.
The homeopathic remedies should be taken in low dosage and should be repeated about three to four times in a day for at least a couple of months after consultation with the doctor.
Reports have suggested in more than 50% of the cases, enlarged ovaries tend to regress spontaneously, without any specific medical intervention. However it is always prudent to consult your gynecologist and confirm the causative factors associated with the development of the condition before attempting home based treatment options. Surgery may be inevitable in severe cases associated with ovarian cancers.