In today’s modern world, there are still plenty of herbal medications that are very useful in providing various health benefits. One of these herbal medications proven to be very useful in various ailments is the chicory plant. The roots and leaves of this plant are used as medication.
Chicory Root Health Benefits
- Understanding the health benefits that chicory root can bring will surely help ensure that this can be used to treat the ailments.
- The following are some of the health benefits of chicory root:
- Helps in increasing good cholesterol and decreasing bad cholesterol levels in the blood.
- The roots provide inulin, a soluble fiber that can feed the digestive flora in the intestines. This is the reason why chicory root is considered as a probiotic agent.
- The chicory root contains vitamin C which is a very powerful antioxidant. That means that the root can have a lot of benefits in the body, including strengthening the body’s immune system to fight infections and illnesses.
- It is also a sedative.
- The root and its extracts are also useful as anti-inflammatory agents for the nervous system.
Benefits of Chicory Root in Women
- Chicory root has special properties that make it a good option for women.
- For instance, the chicory root has abortive properties so that it is very useful as a natural contraceptive for women. This is also the reason why the root and its extracts should be avoided by pregnant women as this can cause miscarriages.
- This is sometimes used in women with irregular menstruations as it can cause menstruations that are not on schedule. This is, however, debatable and should not be taken as an absolute benefit.
- To ensure the safe use of the chicory root women, a doctor should be consulted prior to taking the extracts or plant parts.