Causes of Vulvar Itching
There are several factors that can be responsible for vulvar itching in a female. It is important to identify the cause, which plays a crucial role in subsequent management of the condition,
- Chemical allergens are present in laundry detergents, feminine wash, creams, ointments and contraceptive substances. Upon contact with the vaginal area, it can result to itching. When this happens, the conditions indicate vulvar dermatitis.
- Stress-induced irritation is also a possibility. Keep calm and relaxed; stay away from stressful situations.
- If there is discharge present, the itching can be caused by yeast infection, resulting from birth control pills, menstruation, sexual intercourse, pregnancy, diabetes and generally weak immunity from diseases.
- Less common causes of vulvar itching include rare skin conditions and pinworm infestation.
There are several factors responsible for vaginal itching in women. When vaginal itching occurs, it can cause quite a discomfort for women. It can also be a source of annoyance and embarrassment. Home remedies are available to help improve the conditions and provide relief.
Home Remedies for Vaginal Itching
Here are some simple home remedies and lifestyle suggestions which can help in control and management of vaginal itching in females,
- Practice proper hygiene to eliminate occurrences of vaginal itching. Simply taking a bath or shower can keep the body and the genitals clean. There is no need to use douching to clean the vagina as it has a natural ability to clean itself.
- Do not wash the vagina repeatedly as it can cause dryness and further irritation. Avoid harsh soaps and scented shower gels that may cause the irritation.
- Sitz bath is recommended to control vaginal infection and itching. Add a few drops of savlon or dettol in a tub and sit in the tub for a few minutes with your genitals expose. This helps control bacterial infections in the vagina which may be contributing for the vaginal itching. Alternatively add a few drops of tea tree oil to the bathing water.
- Make a daily change of underwear to stay fresh after a bath. Choose cotton fabrics so that the skin can breathe easily.
- For quick relief, a cold washcloth can be applied to the vagina like a compress.
- Keep the vaginal area clean by wiping from front to back after using the toilet.
- Apple cider vinegar mixed with yogurt and water can be dabbed on the irritated area with a washcloth. Wash with cool water if there is a stinging sensation.
- Buttermilk provides good results in stopping the growth of bacteria, which may cause the itching. Apply it to the vaginal area or drink it everyday.
- Yogurt alone is also effective because it contains live bacteria that can kill yeast, a common cause of feminine itching. Dab some on the vagina or use a tampon smeared in yogurt.
- Garlic is also used for feminine itching due to its antifungal properties. Create a drink made from crushed whole garlic and water, and consume until itching is gone.
- Herbal extracts are ideal for home remedies, specifically extracts of olive leaves, grapefruit seed and slippery elm.