We live in very confusing times. Mood swing is often a subject talked about, time and again in our near surrounding, in our workplace and at home. So what exactly is mood swing? Changing pattern of emotions abruptly within a span of few hours can be termed as mood swing. A sudden shift of emotional state from being cheerful to depression or being confident to fearfulness and bewilderment are some of the examples of mood swing.
We all may have experienced mood swing at some point in our life, however when it becomes regular, it can cause many problems at personal level as well as to the society at large. Even though both the genders are affected, mood swing in women has been found to be more common than men. In fact it is twice the number as that of men. Let us know why it is so common in women.
Causes Of Sudden Mood Changes In Women
Here are some of the prominent causes that can be traced for sudden change of mood in women.
Stress in daily life: Women living in metropolitan cities may feel more stressed as a result of fast pace of life.
Hormonal imbalance: Often the cause of mood fluctuation in women is blamed to occur due to hormonal changes in her life. Mood swings are more common in women who are nearing the menopausal age, meaning between 40 and 50 years. The hormone estrogen is known to play a large role in secretion of serotonin, a brain chemical which acts as a mood regulator. During the peri-menopause, estrogen is at low level and therefore there may be disturbance in serotonin secretion. This may give rise to sudden mood swing in women.
Same way, variations in hormones can occur during puberty, pregnancy and menstruation. Women are vulnerable to mood swings during this period.
Living unhealthy lifestyle: Mood fluctuation can occur as a result of Smoking, alcoholism, addiction to stimulants. Living sedentary life and inadequate exercise can also precipitate sudden changes in mood.
Natural Remedies For Mood Swings In Women
Most cases of mood swing in women can be treated with changing the lifestyle. Certain alternative treatments are also effective.
- Change in lifestyle: Changing unhealthy lifestyle is effective in alleviating the symptoms of mood swing in many cases. Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes in a day. A brisk walk, or swimming, playing sports, dancing etc can enhance the mood. Besides, quit alcohol and smoking. Eat food that is rich in nutrients.
- Alternative therapies: yoga, meditation, homeopathy and acupuncture are effective in treating severe mood swings occurring in women.
- Aromatherapy with essential oils of jasmine or lavender or rose has become popular for treating mood swings in women.
- Listening to music also helps to relieve stress in daily life.
- Certain herbs such as Ginseng and Ashwagandha are also effective in reducing episodes of abrupt mood changes.
- When mood swing affects the daily activity, she may need behavioral therapy, hormone replacement therapy, cognitive therapy etc.