Antacids are substances which reduce acidity in the stomach. They act in two ways, neutralize the acid produced in stomach or reduce its production from the stomach cells. Acid in stomach acts upon the food that we eat, which then passes into the intestine for complete digestion.
Acid is necessary for digestive processes, however, at times acid can create problems such as heartburn and gastritis (inflammation in the lining of stomach). Many people experience heartburn after eating spicy food, excessive alcohol intake, too much of coffee, tea etc. For some it may be a single episode, but chronic heartburn can make life miserable.
The food that we eat passes through the food pipe called esophagus and enters the stomach. Normally, when the food enters the stomach, it does not revert back into the esophagus. This happens because of a valve (sphincter) at the end of food pipe. It closes and prevents stomach juices to re-enter. But when the valve becomes weak, stomach contents may enter in the lower part of esophagus. The acid along with digestive juices irritates the inner lining of lower esophagus causing heartburn.
Foods And Drinks That Are Natural Antacids
While change in lifestyle, reducing weight and pharmacologically prepared antacids can reduce heartburn, there are natural home remedies that are as effective. Besides, natural antacids do not have any side effects as that found in commercially prepared antacids. These antacids are nothing but a select of food that we eat.
- Bananas: Banana is known to neutralize excessive acidity in the stomach and it coats the lining of stomach. Its quality of being bland remarkably benefits in reducing acid strength in the stomach. It relieves acute symptoms of heartburn. Eating ripe bananas is highly beneficial.
- Almonds: Almonds act as natural antacids because the oil present in it is known to neutralize the acid. Eat 4 to 8 almonds after your meals. You can also include them in your snack.
- Apples: Apples are known to calm down the burning sensation in stomach. Slice of apple or a mashed apple should be chewed thoroughly before you swallow. Apple neutralizes the acid content in stomach and thus acts as a natural antacid.
- Milk: It is another powerful natural antacid to reduce production of acid from the stomach. One of the content of milk as we know is calcium. Many commercially antacid preparations contain calcium as one of the ingredient to curb hyper-acidity. Milk coats the stomach lining and reduces the secretion of acid from the stomach cell lining.
- Carrot juice: Carrot juice with juice of spinach is considered highly beneficial in treatment of gastritis. Mix half glass of carrot juice with half glass of spinach juice. Drink the juice in morning regularly if you are suffering from chronic gastritis or heartburn.
How To Make A Natural Antacid At Home?
Aside from the natural foods, you can prepare natural antacid mixture for curing burning stomach pain.
- Baking soda: Baking soda ranks top on the list of natural antacids to cure heartburn and gastritis. Mix half teaspoon of baking soda in a glassful of water. Stir it thoroughly till it mixes well. Baking soda contains sodium bicarbonate. It has neutralizing effect on the stomach acid. Thus it reduces discomfort caused due to heartburn. Drink the prepared mixture two times in a day if it is acute.
- Aloe Vera Juice: Aloe Vera juice is considered to be a miracle natural product for treating several problems. It also cures hyper-acidity and burning in stomach. Drink one ounce of juice daily in the morning when you have chronic gastritis and heartburn.
- Honey, lemon juice and water: Take one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Add both the content in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it first thing in the morning. It is an effective natural antacid for treating hyper-acidity.